I wish I was three years old!

I'm just sat watching my 3+ boys face as he watches 'Third and Bird' on CBeebies.

It's like he's watching magic at work. I wish I could see it how he sees it, but of course I've forgotten how it is to be three, 'adult filters', seen it all before etc.

I wish I was three years old!

Isn't this wondrous? I used to wish I could see what my children saw. When they were younger, they both loved

music video by Faith Hill. Whenever it came on, they would sit down and watch. I didn't get the fascination, but ok. At least they're quiet, right?. :hihi:

My daughter thought it would be great to be so small you could ride on the back of a butterfly and hide inside a flower, and my son thought it was like James and the Giant Peach. One of his favorite books at the time. After that, I realized I needed to slow down and look at things. How many times has your son pointed out something that you missed entirely because you were in a hurry?

You can see the world as a three year old if you take the time to do it DT :)

... though I'm struggling to see the 'hedgehog' H can see when the sun shines through the curtains in the bedroom :huh:

Uki is currently her favourite TV programme. I think we should all take the time to watch Uki at least once a day, and appreciate how uncomplicated life once was :)

• 2 months later...
You can see the world as a three year old if you take the time to do it DT :)

Ah, to be able to see like a three year old I'd have to be the very same child who experienced the six week school holiday as almost infinite, to see the colour of a sunflower as dazzling and to hear the sound of the buzzing bees as so very, very loud.

Put these elements together and experience them as one (a summer in childhood) - I can remember them, I cannot experience them and feel them, therefore I cannot see the world as a three year old child...

Ah, to be able to see like a three year old I'd have to be the very same child who experienced the six week school holiday as almost infinite, to see the colour of a sunflower as dazzling and to hear the sound of the buzzing bees as so very, very loud.

Put these elements together and experience them as one (a summer in childhood) - I can remember them, I cannot experience them and feel them, therefore I cannot see the world as a three year old child...

Ah yes. You're quite right - almost infinite summer holidays, exciting bus rides to Millhouses Park, simple sandwiches that became outdoor banquets, and perfect days that seemed to long enough to fit it all in then just started to turn to dusk as you were tired enough to want to go home. Bliss.

....My daughter thought it would be great to be so small you could ride on the back of a butterfly and hide inside a flower, and my son thought it was like James and the Giant Peach. One of his favorite books at the time.

Wonderful! :)

How many times has your son pointed out something that you missed entirely because you were in a hurry?

It happens, parents rushing and hurrying, nagging our kids from their very real world of imagination and observation. Often shortly afterwards whatever he said kicks in and I apologise and we talk about what he was telling me.

Some stuff stay missed, I'm sure.

Archived