I wish I was three years old!

It disturbs me to see kids' gazes locked on a TV like that, gawping like zombies possessed. TV in general is a very passive experience and kids' minds are like sponges. Parents put a surprising amount of trust in programme makers, especially on the commercial channels with adverts every 10 minutes, to stimulate and even educate their kids - the "evolving consumers" of our world as the PR industry dubs them.

Ideally they should be out, exploring and interacting with nature (accompanied by an adult of course), being mesmerised by things that aren't created by humans to simply entertain and create passive, docile minds. They'd soon see how fake their TV world is.

But I do empathise with parents who just need a bit of peace and quiet while they get on with their wholly selfless lives.

It disturbs me to see kids' gazes locked on a TV like that, gawping like zombies possessed. TV in general is a very passive experience and kids' minds are like sponges. Parents put a surprising amount of trust in programme makers, especially on the commercial channels with adverts every 10 minutes, to stimulate and even educate their kids - the "evolving consumers" of our world as the PR industry dubs them.

Ideally they should be out, exploring and interacting with nature (accompanied by an adult of course), being mesmerised by things that aren't created by humans to simply entertain and create passive, docile minds. They'd soon see how fake their TV world is.

But I do empathise with parents who just need a bit of peace and quiet while they get on with their wholly selfless lives.

We make sure they spend little time watching T.V

This morning they spent drawing and painting, after lunch they played with toys and spent time doing half term homework for a 'nocturnal animals' project.

After that I took them out to Spider Park playground, and on to an animal sanctuary that we often visit. Right now they're playing with toys.

The TV hasn't yet been turned on today.

I hope this meets with your approval.

As a parent you are so busy caring for you child and making the world a magical place for them that you can't fully appreciate it. However I know the secret to experiencing it all over again - become a grandparent. You have more time to stop and admire the ladybirds and count their spots, you can bend down and smell the flowers or sit under a sheet and be camping at the seaside. This is because your child is doing they job you did a generation ago, and in my case she is making a fantastic job of it.

We make sure they spend little time watching T.V

This morning they spent drawing and painting, after lunch they played with toys and spent time doing half term homework for a 'nocturnal animals' project.

After that I took them out to Spider Park playground, and on to an animal sanctuary that we often visit. Right now they're playing with toys.

The TV hasn't yet been turned on today.

I hope this meets with your approval.

Oh don't be like that I'm not social services. I was just stating what everyone already knows deep down anyway. It wasn't aimed at you personally. But not all parents make the effort like you clearly do. I did say I empathise with parents when they're busy and the TV helps divert their kids attention.

TV is a necessary evil for the young ones of today, when I was a kid we didn't have a TV so we had to make our own entertainment. I don't condone them sat in front of the "goggle box" dusk, till dawn, but at the right time it does them good. Mind I've got 3 grandsons & some of the programmes for them now, are more of an insult intellectually than stimulating.

Kids can learn through lots of mediums, TV is just one of them

You are right bypassblade, too much tv isn't good but if you are selective in what they view it can be educational. My three youngest grandaughters learnt a lot from Dora Explorer and Diago, they picked up a little bit of Spanish, some basic geography and learnt about kindness to others.

My eldest grandaugter who is now 17 used to love Barney (he is a big purple dinosaur) at first I dismissed it as American Drivel but when she recited the alphabet in Hebrew at 3 years old I took another look at it!! I found it was actually very good, but again in small doses.

My friends grandchild goes to a Montessori school, she doesn't watch cartoons at all athome, the school doesn't participate in such things :roll: she's six years old and can speak Three languages already , I've been to the her classroom the kids seem to be so happy and content learning what their being taught, one mother did tell me the kids watch cartoons when they go to grandmas house, but not at home

My friends grandchild goes to a Montessori school, she doesn't watch cartoons at all athome, the school doesn't participate in such things :roll: she's six years old and can speak Three languages already , I've been to the her classroom the kids seem to be so happy and content learning what their being taught, one mother did tell me the kids watch cartoons when they go to grandmas house, but not at home

It looks like an interesting model. Kids are more at liberty to choose their own developmental path without being crammed into a one-size-fits-nobody mass rolled out system. I suppose the theory is that the more you can remove the master-slave dynamic found in traditional education, the more the child will learn to follow their innate sense of selfhood, which we actually detach kids from in many respects. It's also crucial for their critical thinking to develop naturally and spontaneously, which seems to be neglected in our education system.

Archived