I wish I was three years old!

It looks like an interesting model. Kids are more at liberty to choose their own developmental path without being crammed into a one-size-fits-nobody mass rolled out system. I suppose the theory is that the more you can remove the master-slave dynamic found in traditional education, the more the child will learn to follow their innate sense of selfhood, which we actually detach kids from in many respects. It's also crucial for their critical thinking to develop naturally and spontaneously, which seems to be neglected in our education system.

That's almost word for word what a couple of mothers said.

Oh don't be like that I'm not social services. I was just stating what everyone already knows deep down anyway. It wasn't aimed at you personally. But not all parents make the effort like you clearly do. I did say I empathise with parents when they're busy and the TV helps divert their kids attention.

Ah, OK.

I'm a bit oversensitive today :(

You are right bypassblade, too much tv isn't good but if you are selective in what they view it can be educational. My three youngest grandaughters learnt a lot from Dora Explorer and Diago, they picked up a little bit of Spanish, some basic geography and learnt about kindness to others.

My eldest grandaugter who is now 17 used to love Barney (he is a big purple dinosaur) at first I dismissed it as American Drivel but when she recited the alphabet in Hebrew at 3 years old I took another look at it!! I found it was actually very good, but again in small doses.

Hey up curriechick I agree entirely, one of them whose 3 loves, is it Mr Maker?, the eldest who is nearly 6 loves Ben10. Apart from that neither of them watch the box much, had the 18 month one sat on me lap today just passing me crayons out of pencil case & then putting them back, then we'd start again-- he loved it as I did. I used to love Barney (lol), you'll be like me tho brought up on Watch with Mother & such (loved em). What has surprised me is how educational that "Horrid Histories" is for kids old enough:):)

Yes that has really got my 7 and 9 year old grandaughters into history, they love it and the 5 year old loves anything to do with the Tudor's she knows all of Henry VIII's wives, in what order he married them and what happened to them. It is not just repeating it either, you can fire any question at her and she answers it. I find it amazing.

My 9 year old who is in year 4,had some sort of tests and she got results in line with year 6 pupils. The education system is much better than when I went to school, although I enjoyed school I think they enjoy education much more than our era.

Yes that has really got my 7 and 9 year old grandaughters into history, they love it and the 5 year old loves anything to do with the Tudor's she knows all of Henry VIII's wives, in what order he married them and what happened to them. It is not just repeating it either, you can fire any question at her and she answers it. I find it amazing.

My 9 year old who is in year 4,had some sort of tests and she got results in line with year 6 pupils. The education system is much better than when I went to school, although I enjoyed school I think they enjoy education much more than our era.

Kids these days are sharp as a tack, your daughter has done very well, hope she keeps it going, school was so very different in our day though. I used to tell my 3 to behave, but I was a chuff (lol) but left with qualifications.

I think the growth of the internet, mobile devices and the free availability of information will make coming generations far more dynamic and open minded people. I for one hope the passive nature of TV as we know it is obliterated into insignificance by emerging digital media, which will give children far more choice than they do now, (hopefully) no longer dictated by a few large commercial interests and media conglomerates.

Just expect many attempts by the proprietors of the old order to gate keep this potentially revolutionary medium. It's crucial that we encourage children to make full use of it and see how invaluable it is so they will grow up fighting to protect it.

Ha, made me laugh. I got lost in Atkinson. I can still feel the "sick to the stomach" panic I felt lol.

:lol: I stayed at the top of the escalator eyeing up some toys in there, and Mum went down without me! I haven't been on one since, it installed a mega phobia into my brain :hihi:

Archived