Motability badge

Now then, before any one starts getting excited, jumping to conclusions and making assumptions I have a question.

Yesterday I was at Meadowhell and I saw a Harley Davidson parked in the disabled bay, quite legally it would appear as it had a Motability Badge attached. It was secured to the bike as if in regular use.

Is it possible to be disabled and have a blue badge for a motorcycle?

My thoughts were that to receive disability you were unable to walk a certain distance unaided and that riding a motorcycle would preclude that!

I am not disablist or anti any thing or anybody but is it even possible?

It isn't nearly as straightforward as "if you can walk XX yards you don't get a badge, if you can't, you get one." There are, for instance, some conditions which mean people can walk without hindrance or pain, but only some of the time.

That said, I don't know anyone who has a blue badge and uses a motorbike. I don't think there's any law against it, and I'm sure there will be some conditions which qualify for a badge but don't rule out going biking ... but it certainly looks incongruous!

You will need to show that:

you cannot walk; or

you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort; or

the physical effort needed to walk could damage your health.

The degree of impairment should be similar to that required to claim the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance. Entitlement depends on your difficulty walking, and considerations such as difficulty in carrying parcels cannot be taken into account, the condition also has to be permanent and substantial.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adults/travel/blue-badge.html

Archived