Star Inn Danville Street

glynn

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can remember a pub called 'Star Inn' on Danville Street at Burngreave/Pitsmore.

Thanks

Glynn

My mum was born on Danville Street and often talks about it and the people from there. I told her about this thread and she remembers the Star Inn. She is Iris Smith and was born at no. 48 and lived there with her mum Lily, grandparents George and Lily and Cousin Ike Smith. She says she can remember Ellis' Shop on the corner, Janet's shop, and various people including Elmore's, Matthew's, Holmes's, Young's, Mrs. King, Eric Barnett and Lawrence Brookes(I think these two were friends of Ike Smith). Does anyone else remember these and I will pass your message on to her.

The name rings a bell but can,t place the face did they live on the right about 20 houses up Arthur

My mum remembers Frank Howarth, please read:thumbsup: the other thread I have put on here to see if you remember any of the people I have mentioned. My Mum is Iris (nee Smith) from no. 48 Danville Street.

My mum was born on Danville Street and often talks about it and the people from there. I told her about this thread and she remembers the Star Inn. She is Iris Smith and was born at no. 48 and lived there with her mum Lily, grandparents George and Lily and Cousin Ike Smith. She says she can remember Ellis' Shop on the corner, Janet's shop, and various people including Elmore's, Matthew's, Holmes's, Young's, Mrs. King, Eric Barnett and Lawrence Brookes(I think these two were friends of Ike Smith). Does anyone else remember these and I will pass your message on to her.
Hi I am

glad you posted I have mentioned the Danville st lads on this thread and Ike ,Lol and Eric are the very lads I meant we used to play cards in Ike;s house I don;t recall the number but it was about the 3rd yard up on the right and the bottom house there was a nice looking lass lived at the top house used to play with us , we all used to play snooker in the Cambridge billiard hall on Sunday mornings are any of them still alive Iwould like to remembed to them this was in the early yrs of the war, Cheers Arthur

Hi Dadoronron what amouthfull! as we used to say, I just saw that you lived at 135 Grimesthorpe rd I lived at 23 earldom st from 1935 to 1946 when I got wed, then came back to Sedan st, Ihad a joiners shop there till the property was demolished Cheers Arthur.

Hi I am

glad you posted I have mentioned the Danville st lads on this thread and Ike ,Lol and Eric are the very lads I meant we used to play cards in Ike;s house I don;t recall the number but it was about the 3rd yard up on the right and the bottom house there was a nice looking lass lived at the top house used to play with us , we all used to play snooker in the Cambridge billiard hall on Sunday mornings are any of them still alive Iwould like to remembed to them this was in the early yrs of the war, Cheers Arthur

Hi Arthur! I will be seeing my mum (Iris Smith, Ike's cousin) tomorrow and I will pass this on! Ike is still alive and well and lives on Herries Road near Northern General. Don't know about Eric and Lol but will try and find out and let you know so keep checking the threads!! :thumbsup: Lisa

Hi I am

Hi Arthur, just noticed you were on line and thought I'd let you that Lol Brookes is alive and well and living in Skegness(according to my mum when I saw her yesterday). Still trying to find out about Eric for you! Lisa:)

• 1 month later...

frank howarth was my grandfather. if your mum remembers him he lived on danville court and was brought up by his grandparents, she might remember his wife edith kelsey. her sister dorothy still lives on longley lane and well remembers life around the wicker

frank howarth was my grandfather. if your mum remembers him he lived on danville court and was brought up by his grandparents, she might remember his wife edith kelsey. her sister dorothy still lives on longley lane and well remembers life around the wicker

I will certainly ask her! and get back to you debjohn! - footiefreak:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Re Danville Street, my grandmother lived there, at No 58, for many years until about 1954. I remember a family called Hall lived opposite, and below my grandmother's was a family called Elmore (James was the oldest son), a woman called Mrs Brown. A family called Lowe (son Chester) lived in the house immediately behind my grandmother's (the houses were back to back). I also remember a family called Matthews lived just above grandmother's, and across the road there was a little old lady called Mrs King, who had a grand-daughter called Carol. Up the hill there was a Mrs Hartley, who took bets for Dobbie Dobson (he lived on the next street). One the same side as my grandmother's, a few doors up, there was a family called Webster, with a son called Terry.

Lower down, and across the road, just above the Star pub, was a family called Smith.

Anyone know what happened to all these people?