Star Inn Danville Street

glynn

Sadly my grandad died 8 year ago but my nan

is still alive and living in North Nottinghamshire !

Really sad to hear about your Grandfather. Lovely to hear your nan is okay.My Mum is really interested to hear about you all so I will pass on this news. Trying to get my Mum hooked up to the net but she is proving hard to convert :)

• 9 months later...
Does anyone have any photos of Danville Street??? Asked my mum & she doesnt know of any.

Thanks

Someone put a great painting of Danville Street, showing it downhill from Sun Street on my Facebook but I don't have the know-how to relay it to you.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 17:02 ----------

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can remember a pub called 'Star Inn' on Danville Street at Burngreave/Pitsmore.

Thanks

Glynn

Does anyone remember the last year of the 'Star Inn' ? My guess would be 1969. My grandma left Cantley Place (next street up) in 1970, and she was one of the last to leave. Was the 'Star' a Tetley's house?

I think The Star Inn was a Tetley's house. My grandmother lived almost opposite the pub, and, when I was a boy, she used to send me across the road to fetch her a gill of ale! I have some great childhood memories of Danville Street in the 1940s, but, sadly, no longer have any contact with anyone who livedthere in my time. My grandmother died in 1954, and my grandfather, not wanting to move to Shiregreen when the houses were being demolish (the property wasa back-to-back, was Number fifty-eight), arranged a swop with someone in Bramber Street. This would be around 1955=56, I think. Of course, the houses futher up the hill were not demolished until some time later. House number fifty-eight).

Edited by Redfyre
correction

I think The Star Inn was a Tetley's house. My grandmother lived almost opposite the pub, and, when I was a boy, she used to send me across the road to fetch her a gill of ale! I have some great childhood memories of Danville Street in the 1940s, but, sadly, no longer have any contact with anyone who livedthere in my time. My grandmother died in 1954, and my grandfather, not wanting to move to Shiregreen when the houses were being demolish (the property wasa back-to-back, was Number fifty-eight), arranged a swop with someone in Bramber Street. This would be around 1955=56, I think. Of course, the houses futher up the hill were not demolished until some time later. House number fifty-eight).

Thanks Redfyre; I think the back to back houses in the bottom half of Danville Street were the first to go as I don't recall the rest of them being btb I knew a family called Matthews who lived across from the Star and they had an open backyard that faced to the allotments that ran to Earldom Road. Those at the very bottom, across from the Tea Gardens pub,were removed by either the council or the Luftwaffe, but I wasn't born yet.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 20:18 ----------

As Danville Street was one of the steepest in that part of Ellesmere/Pitsmoor, does anyone recall people sledging down there and living to tell the tale?

Edited by stpetre
addition

Thanks Redfyre; I think the back to back houses in the bottom half of Danville Street were the first to go as I don't recall the rest of them being btb I knew a family called Matthews who lived across from the Star and they had an open backyard that faced to the allotments that ran to Earldom Road. Those at the very bottom, across from the Tea Gardens pub,were removed by either the council or the Luftwaffe, but I wasn't born yet.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 20:18 ----------

As Danville Street was one of the steepest in that part of Ellesmere/Pitsmoor, does anyone recall people sledging down there and living to tell the tale?

I can remember the Tea Gardens so you can't blame Adolf for its demise. My mother was born on Danville street in 1913 and lived to the age off 100, suspect she did not do much sledging or she would not have reached 100.

I can remember the Tea Gardens so you can't blame Adolf for its demise. My mother was born on Danville street in 1913 and lived to the age off 100, suspect she did not do much sledging or she would not have reached 100.

Didn't mean the 'Teapot' per se as I used to be a customer til '86. My grandma lived to 96, so maybe something to do with the area, perhaps climbing the hills ?

• 5 months later...
Hi , Small world just spoken to my mum Maureen, Minnies daughter , my uncle is Graham, minnies son. My mum remembers you all, and hope you are all keeping well :)

Hi I'm looking for relatives of Minnie benson, she had daughter Anne or grace, my mum Mary shaw were best friends back in 60,s / 70 s. Does anyone remember my mum

• 4 years later...
On 09/10/2008 at 17:51, davygfuchsia said:

Hi

Having been reading these posts on Danville St .Wondering if any of you folk remember any of these names from Danville St, I think that they were at 96.

Names are George Rupert Shields...and his partner Martha Robinson.they were never married but did have several children Frank..Hilda. Annie.Edna.Joan and they were called Robinson not Shields . I also believe that a Louis Robinson (Martha son from her husband) lived in Danville St for a while he had 3 children Kenneth, Steven and Verina ...

Martha may also have had some of here other children from her marriage living at 96 ..Blanche .Ada.Theodore.

Blanche Robinson is my Grandmother and my interst is through my family tree research

Dave

Hi Dave, Hilda was my grandmother and remember her well.   I'm also trying to track the family tree.   I have her birth certificate and it says she was born at 7 Court, Danville Street.  I'm a bit confused over the Shields/Robinson and who's who exactly.  Would love to hear from you!

I remember meeting (great) aunt Edna when I was younger; she was in the Salvation Army.

Cheers 

Graham

• 1 year later...
On 01/04/2006 at 22:49, debjohn said:

hello

would you know of the howarths who lived on danville st

in particular frank

ager61 

the Howarths live on danville st i belive at 4 court 2  Mrs Howarth   Frank .Cyril , Philip

i was a friend of Philip he was a pupil at firth park grammer  

i lived at 26 danville st