Star Inn Danville Street

glynn

Hi joheraty,

My Gran lived with her grandparents ( the Gumbys) at that shop when she was young (not sure of the years) & she lived on Danville when she was married & became a Goodwin (prob very early 40's) Do you know the names of the Gumbys who owned the shop???

It could be worthwhile looking in a Kelly's Directory in the Local Studies dept of the Central Library, for that will give Mr Gumby's first name. Or, better, look up the Electoral Roll for Danville Street in the 40s. I can remember old man Gumby standing in the doorway of the shop many a time when I was a kid.

I am still trying to find out the name of the couple who lived in the house at the back of No 58 D Street up to around 1945. They subsequently moved to the next street up Grimesthorpe Road.

• 3 months later...
Re Kidorry & Footiefreak on subject of Danville Street, I can tell you that, sadly, James Elmore died in November 2005. You may not know that James and his wife Helen emigrated to the USA and settled in Belair, Texas. I located him a few years before his death, and we exchanged a few memories. I think he went into hospital for a run of the mill op, but he did not survive it. I never knew the full story. I remember him being at Burngreave, and he was a year in front of me, though I did not spend much of my school career there. James did have a brother called David, who, I believe, became a doctor, but I never knew David.

Re Mrs Iris Smith who lived at 48 Danville Street --that would be just five doors down from my grandmother's. If I am not mistaken, the house in which Iris lived will have been back to back with a house in which lived a family called Judge...that is, the Judge family lived in the bottom house in the backyard, just as the Lowe family lived in the top house at the back of my grandmother's.

Incidentally, Re the house at the back of 58, I remember when I was very small, during the war, a couple lived there, and they moved to live in Earldom Road. In fact, if you went into the back yard at Danville Street, climbed over the wall and into the gardens, there was a path leading to Earldom Road, and the backyard on your left as you reached the road was where this couple's house was. I didn't know the number, and I have never been able to remember their name, but they were a very kind couple and I am sure they used to camp in the same air-raid shelter as us at the back of 58 D Street during the early years of the war.

You might ask Iris if she can remember another family called Smith, who lived on the opposite side of D Street, just above The Star Inn.

48 would be two doors below a Mrs Longmore, as I recall.

Lower down, on the same side as 48 was a family called Johnstone, head of the family being Bob --he was the brother of my step-grandfather.

The Hall family who lived just across the road from 58 had a lad called Michael (he had ginger hair), who, if he is still around, would now be about 70. As I have said before, the Halls moved to Catherine Street.

Do you remember Joe and Lizzie, who lived just below the Halls, on the other side of the entry?

Have you any memories of football matches on the Danville Street Rec? I can recall The Star team playing there in the 1940s on what must have been a Sunday morning. Chester Lowe's dad played in one game.

I can remember Janet's shop, which, I think, was on the same side of the street as The Star Inn, but further down. When I was a boy, the houses just below The Star Inn were still standing. There was a forest of heavy wooden supports, for the houses were not in a very good condition (they may have been damaged during the war). Then, I don't know exactly when, all those houses suddenly went, demolished. Before they were pulled down, the only spare land on that side of the street was right down at the bottom (I think that had been 'spare' since a bomb dropped in the first war, but I am not sure). There was also only a bit of spare land at the bottom on the other side, until they pulled a few more houses down. One of the houses on that side (even numbers) near the bottom also doubled as a shop, but I can't remember its name. Ellis's shop is not a name that rings a bell with me, but I can remember Gumby's (?) right up at the top of Danville Street.

Thinking of Danville Street leads me to wonder whether any old D Street folk have memories of The Coliseum picture house, and the pubs on Grimesthorpe Road run by Ernest Makin and Tommy Thompson. And what about Lily Bell's shop? Mrs Bell was quite a character as I recall. I had many a two ounces of spice from there! Then there was Mrs Gallacher's sweet shop on Grimesthorpe Road. That was popular with us as kids.

Does anyone no of anyone who spoke of a violet bishop who lived in danville st whats there now thanks

• 3 months later...
Can anyone remember the Mc,farlanes who lived at the bottom of Danville St. ish.In the yard by the Teagarden pub.

Hi, I've just joined, so am not familiar with the system.

The Macs lived behind us in Grimesthorpe Rd, beside the Buckenham Arms.

Dad was Tommy, Mother Alice. Children-Annie, Margaret,Don( shot in East House in c1962, Michael(shot dead in East House),Carol, Neil, Richard and Kathleen.They all lived in a back to back, moved to Perkyn Rd, Shiregreen about 1957 .

Danville Steet is no longer there .You can see where it joined Catherine Street (so I've been told) ..have a look on Google Earth

Strictly speaking, Danville Street was not connected to Catherine Street, but you could reach it through the backyard of some houses halfway up (the boundary wall had fallen down!), or via a path which was immediately below The Star inn --the path leading onto some waste land close to the junction of Buckenham and Catherine Streets.

Hi, I've just joined, so am not familiar with the system.

The Macs lived behind us in Grimesthorpe Rd, beside the Buckenham Arms.

Dad was Tommy, Mother Alice. Children-Annie, Margaret,Don( shot in East House in c1962, Michael(shot dead in East House),Carol, Neil, Richard and Kathleen.They all lived in a back to back, moved to Perkyn Rd, Shiregreen about 1957 .

I remember the MacFarlanes, especially Michael, who was, I believe, just a few months older than me. As you say, the family lived on Grimesthorpe Road, near Ernest Makin's pub. I recall that Michael was very friendly with a lad called Ellis, who lived further down Grimesthorpe Road (near Tommy Thompson's pub) and who was later, like Michael, a victim of the East House shooting. I think that Michael McFarlane was in the same class as an old pal of mine, James Elmore, at Burngreave School.

I remember the MacFarlanes, especially Michael, who was, I believe, just a few months older than me. As you say, the family lived on Grimesthorpe Road, near Ernest Makin's pub. I recall that Michael was very friendly with a lad called Ellis, who lived further down Grimesthorpe Road (near Tommy Thompson's pub) and who was later, like Michael, a victim of the East House shooting. I think that Michael McFarlane was in the same class as an old pal of mine, James Elmore, at Burngreave School.

Michael Mc Farlane,James Elmore & Keith Ellis were all in our class at Burngreave.Keith Ellis lived on Fawcett street(just behind Firth Browns medical centre) where we kept some pigeons together for a short time.Michael Mc Farlane lived in the yard next to the Tea Gardens pub.

I must confess that in my memory I thought Keith Ellis lived in a house in the middle to the row on Grimesthorpe Road that had the Brunswick Arms at one end. There was a house where I am saying from which I remember seeing Keith Ellis and Michael MacFarlane emerge on a number of occasions. Obviously another mate of theirs must have lived there. I often saw them when I was fetching some groceries from Lily Bell's shop, which was across the road from Tommy Thompson's pub.

Further to the MacFarlane family, I don't remember any Ellis's but the big family friendly with the Macs were the Gales or Gails. They lived in the house on Grimesthorpe Rd between Bricklebank's Tobacconist and Ward's/ Bramhall's

Grocers(previously owned by Schofields).