Star Inn Danville Street

glynn

That's brilliant, thank you. Sadly my dad passed away a few years ago. He told me lots of stories about growing up in Danville Street and his friends. He always assumed that nobody would still be around. Any information on the times would be gratefully received.

Neil

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can remember a pub called 'Star Inn' on Danville Street at Burngreave/Pitsmore.

Thanks

Glynn

hi glynn i used to live on danville street when i was a child, left there at the age of 11 yrs miss it like mad had some good times on the reck .

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 19:26 ----------

wagshome

think i remember a mrs frost who lived at 114 danville mount which was just off danville st.you could only access these houses by danville st as they overlooked the rec

hi there i lived at number 108 danville street remember it well

hi glynn i used to live on danville street when i was a child, left there at the age of 11 yrs miss it like mad had some good times on the reck .

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 19:26 ----------

hi there i lived at number 108 danville street remember it well

I spent much of my early childhood in Danville Street, living with my grandparents, Annie and J.W. Johnstone, at No 58. This was in the 1940s and just into the 1950s. I wrote about this some years ago in a book called A Sheffield Boy. Fond memories of playing on Danville Street 'Rec with the likes of Chester Lowe and Terry Webster. James Elmore, who later emigrated to Texas in the USA, lived at No 56. James died a few years ago, but I think his younger brother (who became a doctor) and a sister are still living.

That's brilliant, thank you. Sadly my dad passed away a few years ago. He told me lots of stories about growing up in Danville Street and his friends. He always assumed that nobody would still be around. Any information on the times would be gratefully received.

Neil

Hello Neil, I mentioned your father to my dad today and believe me when I tell you that, totally unprompted, he remarked on what a nice lad he was.

He's sorry to hear that your dad is no longer with us. He says he doesn't recall meeting him or any of the other Danville Street lads again after the war as by then he'd moved from the area, although he did move back there (Sedan Street) for a few years in the mid fifties.

I'm told they used to misspend their youth playing 'Chase the Green' for pennies at the Cambridge snooker hall on Sunday mornings.

I've managed to print your avatar although it's a bit blurry. I'll show it to him tomorrow.

Hello Neil, I mentioned your father to my dad today and believe me when I tell you that, totally unprompted, he remarked on what a nice lad he was.

He's sorry to hear that your dad is no longer with us. He says he doesn't recall meeting him or any of the other Danville Street lads again after the war as by then he'd moved from the area, although he did move back there (Sedan Street) for a few years in the mid fifties.

I'm told they used to misspend their youth playing 'Chase the Green' for pennies at the Cambridge snooker hall on Sunday mornings.

I've managed to print your avatar although it's a bit blurry. I'll show it to him tomorrow.

Hello Jim

I remember my father used to tell me about playing snooker on a Sunday morning.

He left Danville Street in 1942 after being conscripted to serve out in the Middle East with the Royal Artillery and then returning after being demobbed in 1947. Not sure when he left Danville Street, but I do know he lived with his parents till he left Sheffield circa 1959. Was Danville Street demolished before then?

Do you know at what age they become mates? My dad told me a few stories of the mischief he got up to when he was a young lad. One was him and his mates allegedly caught all the cats in the area and then put them through the cellar hatch of the local pub.

If you want I can email the picture of my dad just after he was called up. I was over at Sheffield last weekend to see my aunties and she gave me that one and a couple more of him and his parents in their yard on Danville Street. Does your dad remember his parents?

He passed away December 2009; such a pity I never stumbled across this forum till now. I know he always spoke very fondly about them days and his mates.

Cheers Neil

Hello Jim

I remember my father used to tell me about playing snooker on a Sunday morning.

He left Danville Street in 1942 after being conscripted to serve out in the Middle East with the Royal Artillery and then returning after being demobbed in 1947. Not sure when he left Danville Street, but I do know he lived with his parents till he left Sheffield circa 1959. Was Danville Street demolished before then?

Do you know at what age they become mates? My dad told me a few stories of the mischief he got up to when he was a young lad. One was him and his mates allegedly caught all the cats in the area and then put them through the cellar hatch of the local pub.

If you want I can email the picture of my dad just after he was called up. I was over at Sheffield last weekend to see my aunties and she gave me that one and a couple more of him and his parents in their yard on Danville Street. Does your dad remember his parents?

He passed away December 2009; such a pity I never stumbled across this forum till now. I know he always spoke very fondly about them days and his mates.

Cheers Neil

Hello Neil,

I've sent you a PM.

Jim

i lived at number 108 Danville Street in the 60,s, i used to go to Mrs gunbys shop for penny arrow bars and halfpenny chews, we used to play on the garage roofs at the top of Danville street our yard was on sun street and had one of the entrances to Burngreave school on it . My name then was Carrie Scaife if anyone remembers me.

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 19:07 ----------

Hi hillc4 ... my great great gran was Mrs Gunby .... do you know what number the shop was?? My gran lived with them for some time when she was very young

sorry cant remember the number but i remember her she was a lovely lady and i used to see her every day. i have very fond memories of mrs gunby

• 6 months later...

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 12:10 ----------

[/color]

My granparents were brought up on danville street , my nan was minnie graham (lots of brothers) and my grandad was harry benson both sadly passed away, this brings back memories of them talking about it.

Minnie graham was my grandad George's cousin he and his sister ivy snell lived round the corner in cantley place my nan Joan Blackwell also grew up in cantley place and new loads of people in Danville street

Edited by Snelly1

Hi , Small world just spoken to my mum Maureen, Minnies daughter , my uncle is Graham, minnies son. My mum remembers you all, and hope you are all keeping well :)

Sadly my grandad died 8 year ago but my nan

is still alive and living in North Nottinghamshire !