I need a little help regarding choosing the most appropriate city to go

Hi all!

I am going to enroll a language school for 6 weeks in the UK to improve my English, and I am having hard time choosing the most appropriate city/town for my needs.

Basically, I am going to learn in the morning and practice in the afternoon. You can take a look at the course details of one of the language schools www*british-study.com/adults/english-language-courses/general-english/morning-g20am.php. Btw, I'm also a bit nervous about how I can find British people who would want to chat with me.

After tens of hours of researches, my priorities are as follows:

1. Cambridge

2. Oxford

3. Bournemouth

4. Brighton

I have upper-intermediate or advance English level. My main purpose is to improve my English including speaking, listening, writing. So I don't care night lifes, girls, bars etc.

Maybe you can share your knowledge with me about appropriate city considering my needs. I'd love to hear your suggestions and advice!

Best,

Mibo

Oxford is where you will meet people who talk "proper English" (as if there is such a thing) ... Received Pronunciation as it used to be called. Even today, having that accent makes you sound like a person of importance or of wealth, since it's associated with the wealth private schools and the very best universities.

For that reason, if you want to speak with an accent that is likely to open doors instead of closing them, Oxford can be recommended. (It is unfair that such attitudes still exist, but they do.)

Oxford is where you will meet people who talk "proper English" (as if there is such a thing) ... Received Pronunciation as it used to be called. Even today, having that accent makes you sound like a person of importance or of wealth, since it's associated with the wealth private schools and the very best universities.

For that reason, if you want to speak with an accent that is likely to open doors instead of closing them, Oxford can be recommended. (It is unfair that such attitudes still exist, but they do.)

Im not sure that 6 weeks of tuition is going to effect his accent if I am honest.

I have been to all the cities you mention barring bournemouth and you suggest Brighton as the best. Fantastic little place.

First place I would choose Oxford.

Direct train to/from Sheffield 3hrs

Central and easy to get to/from most of the UK.

Easy access to London.

Bigger regional city feel to it.

Excellent restaurants pubs and beer.

Prettier/ historic /walks/ museums/ galleries/shops/ market/Morse

Full of visitors and language students.

2 Bournemouth

Direct train to/from Sheffield but up to 5hrs

Beautiful coast/New Forest

Caters for ageing population.

3 Cambridge

No direct train to Sheffield.

Similar to Oxford but smaller.

4 Brighton

No direct train to Sheffield.

Similar to Bounemouth not as nice.

Closer to London

Full of visitors and language students.

I don't know if the city you go to should be the determining factor. The course is the most important thing. They're all really nice places although if I had to pick one I'd go for Brighton as you're on the coast, it's very lively, open, progressive and friendly and is only an hour from London with frequent trains into Victoria.

Bournemouth has a sunny disposition, but it has so many seniour citizens, all the shop windows are Bi-focal!

Cheeky! it also has a lot of students, there are quite a few language schools AND a University. We also have a lot of sun, sea and surfing. :hihi:

Archived