I need a little help regarding choosing the most appropriate city to go

Wow.. so many replies! Thank you for your interest!

Is there anything you could recommend me about finding British people who would want to chat with me?

In case someone else needs, neelix advise me to use Badoo app for finding British people. Thank you neelix!

Hi all!

I am going to enroll a language school for 6 weeks in the UK to improve my English, and I am having hard time choosing the most appropriate city/town for my needs.

Basically, I am going to learn in the morning and practice in the afternoon. You can take a look at the course details of one of the language schools www*british-study.com/adults/english-language-courses/general-english/morning-g20am.php. Btw, I'm also a bit nervous about how I can find British people who would want to chat with me.

After tens of hours of researches, my priorities are as follows:

1. Cambridge

2. Oxford

3. Bournemouth

4. Brighton

I have upper-intermediate or advance English level. My main purpose is to improve my English including speaking, listening, writing. So I don't care night lifes, girls, bars etc.

Maybe you can share your knowledge with me about appropriate city considering my needs. I'd love to hear your suggestions and advice!

Best,

Mibo

Where do you live now?

All cities will provide English classes, i'd decide where to go based on other factors...

Where do you live now?

All cities will provide English classes, i'd decide where to go based on other factors...

I live in Turkey.

Well.. of course they all provide but each city and each city's people different characteristic. As I said, improving my English is top priority and having more change to talk with native speakers is very important for me.

Hello

I am the director of MovingOn Courses which is a small English language school. For our summer courses we rent a student residence. We are not tied to one city and so over the last 15 years we have been to a lot of different cities.

I think you should choose your English course based on the English school or the course offered, rather than worrying about the location so much.

All the cities you have mentioned are full of language schools and so you will probably find a lot of students from your country. This means you will have the temptation to speak your native language. Try as you may, students of the same nationality often end up in little groups speaking their native language during their free time. Do not make the mistake of expecting English people to be waiting for you with open arms and eager to chat so that you can practice you English skills.

I think the accent is irrelevant. However, I would not recommend Glasgow simply because you may not understand a word even after six weeks. I am surprised, in a Sheffield forum, that nobody has mentioned the fact people in the north of England (and Scotland, Wales and Ireland) are generally considered friendlier. This may be a stereotype but it has been my experience over the years.

I would recommend, Bristol, Edinburgh, York and Belfast. If interested, I can explain why. If you are happy in a smaller city then I would also recommend Cork, Sligo and Shrewsbury.

Obviously there are many more towns where you can learn English.

Good Luck

Hello mibo,

apologies, i did not read all the comments very well.

I can most definitely recommend a course with MovingOn Courses becasue you would be our first and only Turkish student on our English course. We can offer you a huge discount of about 45% but better to discuss by mail.

Another consideration is that if you have 6 weeks to dedicate to learning English, why not consider Australia. English courses tend to be cheaper there and also tend to offer more activities.

perhaps let everyone know your final choice and your experience at the end of the six weeks

Hi all!

I am going to enroll a language school for 6 weeks in the UK to improve my English, and I am having hard time choosing the most appropriate city/town for my needs.

Basically, I am going to learn in the morning and practice in the afternoon. You can take a look at the course details of one of the language schools www*british-study.com/adults/english-language-courses/general-english/morning-g20am.php. Btw, I'm also a bit nervous about how I can find British people who would want to chat with me.

After tens of hours of researches, my priorities are as follows:

1. Cambridge

2. Oxford

3. Bournemouth

4. Brighton

I have upper-intermediate or advance English level. My main purpose is to improve my English including speaking, listening, writing. So I don't care night lifes, girls, bars etc.

Maybe you can share your knowledge with me about appropriate city considering my needs. I'd love to hear your suggestions and advice!

Best,

Mibo

By the way, your prose is nigh on perfect! ;)

Archived