Derelict building Chesterfield Road

Mandem

As you go up Chesterfield Road towards Woodseats, on the left hand side just past the bad bend where Meersbrook Avenue is, there is a strange derelict building. It is brick built, and all that seems to remain is an arch and gate posts which have all been bricked up. It is next to the very steep steps that go up to Meersbrook (I think). Does anyone know what this is?

It used to be a large house of multiple occupancy that was in a poor state of repair in the 1960s. The locals knew it as mulligans mansions and there is already a thread on SF about it.

try here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3133832#post3133832

i went the school with pat battersby who lived in the house during the late fifties early sixties very nice girl

No, that is a disused car mechanic's garage to the left of mulligan's mansions, you can just make out the gatepost in question to the right of the picture.

Do you mean this??

I've often wondered what it was??

Biggsy :)

There seems to be some work going on in that disused site at the moment. I wonder if there's a new house going up. They'll have a fantastic view across the valley, if so.

I've always wondered why no-one's ever rebuilt on the Mulligan's Mansion site, but apparently the ground around there is a bit unstable?

I've always wondered why no-one's ever rebuilt on the Mulligan's Mansion site, but apparently the ground around there is a bit unstable?

If you ever go in the woods below the roadway and look up at the masonary which supports the road, it is an incredible feat of engineering on an extremely steep hillside. The first roadway here was built in 1797, only 215 years ago.

Sheffield corporation later expanded the road to what we see today in 1910 to support the weight of two tram tracks. Earlier than this there was no road at all, the main route being derbyshire lane.

If a road like this was built today, a boring tool would sink massive and lengthy holes which would be filled with concrete to anchor the structure to deep within the hillside. I suspect that 100 years ago all they did was a lot of digging and a lot of brickwork, which means that the road, and the walls balance on the pressure of the hill. The reason why we keep seeing little landslips, causing bits of the wall to fall and dips to appear in the pavement.

If all the land above suffers from the same slippage, then I suspect to develop the land where mulligans was, would mean that an extremely costly foundation work involving many tonnes of concrete would be needed. This would push up construction costs. While there are cheaper, and less complex and difficult places to build houses in this part of the city, no housebuilder is likely to tackle this spot.

There seems to be some work going on in that disused site at the moment. I wonder if there's a new house going up. They'll have a fantastic view across the valley, if so.

We used to play in the area in the early sixties and the view is awesome i will never forget seeing the sky black with migrating birds .

Archived