Should twitter racist have been arrested?

Should Liam Stacey have been arrested for offensive posts on Twitter  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Liam Stacey have been arrested for offensive posts on Twitter

• Yes - he overstepped the mark and deserves to be punished
    • No - he was merely exercising his freedom of speech

I don't know if anyone else was following this yesterday, but soon after Muamba collapsed yesterday some moron started posting obscene racist tweets directed at Muamba and then at anyone who challenged him.

Stan Collymore retweeted some of the comments and reported the guy to the police and as a result he has been arrested

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4203089/Muamba-troll-arrested.html

Having realised the trouble he was in he tried to cover his tracks first saying it was a joke, then apologising, then claiming his account was hacked and finally closing his account. However plenty of users took screenshots, and another user captured his timeline before it was closed.

(Note - there is extreme racist swearing in those links!)

Strange that his account was 'hacked' by someone who used the same style of language and offensive #hashtagging that this idiot did isn't it? And that they apparently only 'hacked' it for a couple of hours....

Also odd that he claimed to be only 'only taking the p, obviously people can't take a joke' when one of his friends tried to ask him what he was doing.

Anyway - do you think he should have been arrested for expressing his opinion - even if it was just a joke that got out of hand?

I do - I think his initial comment was simply bad taste and idiotic, but the way he responded to the criticism was racist, threatening, and way beyond any kind of joke. I also hope his University, Student Union and Rugby Team deal with him to the full extent of their ability.

I do - I think his initial comment was simply bad taste and idiotic, but the way he responded to the criticism was racist, threatening, and way beyond any kind of joke. I also hope his University, Student Union and Rugby Team deal with him to the full extent of their ability.

:thumbsup:

It just reinforces the fact that the hard of thinking shouldn't be allowed technology.

It was mildly irritating the way they couldn't go a day without getting a virus or sending their life savings to the finance minister of Nigeria in return for 20 billion dollars, or bought something extravagant on Ebay when drunk.

Having mass messaging broadcast technology at the fingertips with the aid of a Smartphone and Twitter or FB is leading to some very interesting developments. In the old days you'd wait to vent your anger by firing up the PC, waiting for it to come on, connecting via your dial up modem..... ah forget it I can't be bothered!

It just reinforces the fact that the hard of thinking shouldn't be allowed technology.

It was mildly irritating the way they couldn't go a day without getting a virus or sending their life savings to the finance minister of Nigeria in return for 20 billion dollars, or bought something extravagant on Ebay when drunk.

Having mass messaging broadcast technology at the fingertips with the aid of a Smartphone and Twitter or FB is leading to some very interesting developments. In the old days you'd wait to vent your anger by firing up the PC, waiting for it to come on, connecting via your dial up modem..... ah forget it I can't be bothered!

Hmmm, how many people are about to give iPhone a full facial recognition pattern? mmm, what may they do with that...

True - I can't see him making a special effort to log on and write that filth - but having his phone on him made it too easy....

But.... maybe in that case its harsh to punish him too much... I mean - a young lad, maybe had a few pints, got drawn after a bad taste joke - he's been arrested, name plastered all over the net, maybe kicked out of uni - is it right to ruin his life because of a (really) stupid mistake?

The trouble with Karma is that there's such a long waiting list. Why not speed it along by letting him have to replace all his windows!

True but then what happens if you break his windows and someone innocent is stood on the other end? I bet you wouldnt feel too godd about yourself after that. I know i wouldnt.

Archived