Yorkshire police arrest teenager for Facebook comments.

I have, and I agree with him.

The right to free speech is far more important than the right not to be offended by someones opinion. Our troops have fought for that right in the past, they didn't fight for free speech as long as it didn't offend people. Because that isn't free any more!

Assuming you're talking WW2 we did lock up all axis foreigners, Brits who supported the nazis and shamefully a lot of axis nationality Jews for the duration of hostilties. We didn't give them "free speech". I don't think the lads in Afghanistan are fighting for the right for terrorism fans in the UK to be able to incite people to kill British service personel, certainly while hostilities are ongoing. It's not an unreasonable suggestion that in situations of war supporting our enemies is beyond the pale and that such free speech be restricted for the duration of the war.

But the Queen is not the king... and in any event, I'm fairly sure that the 1351 Act has been superseded and no longer applies. It's no longer a treasonable act to say that Prince Harry deserves a smack around the ear.

King / Queen is interchangeable when you are referring to the monarch, also see later revisions.

Most of the original act is still in place. Amendments have been added to be more precise and to remove the death penalty.

There's something different between your comment and the one by the idiot in the OP!

King / Queen is interchangeable when you are referring to the monarch, also see later revisions.

They weren't in 1351. That was my point.

There's something different between your comment and the one by the idiot in the OP!

In 1351, my comment would have seen me in the dungeons.

They weren't in 1351. That was my point.

Your point? But the act still stands in our law, the amendment were later, but they still refer to that act, read it I posted links!

In 1351, my comment would have seen me in the dungeons.

A slap is not a death threat!

You should be free to say what you wish unless its deemed treturous to the nation, and then its should be called treason.

Treason: betrayal of your country

but who decides?

as with this thread, some people think what was said is the worst thing ever, some dont, some think they should die for saying it, some dont

And in the advances of the last seventy years, are we still as barbaric as we were then?

Clearly not. Afghans have not been locked up en masse, Iraqis have not been locked up en masse. The only targets have been the islamist terrorists that we are actually fighting and their support networks.

Archived