April Fools Day.. where does the apostrophe go?

After the L of fool IMO.

April Fool's Day... To me it's Wrestlemania Day though, the day John Cena loses to The Rock in The Rock's home Town of Miami, Florida.

Yes, I am a WWE fan.

I think you are all wrong. I am a bit of a grammar pedant and in this case an apostrophe is not required because the full traditional title of the day is "all fools day", in other words a day of(expecting to appear) all the fools (ourselves in other guises)

The day does not belong to the fools, so there is no possesion. Just like Queens road (with no apostrophe) does not belong to the queens. It is the day when the fools come out, a day to mark the appearence of the fools.

Queens road is presumably a road to celebrate various queens, but it does not belong to them either.

You don't say Dinner's time when it is time for dinner because the time does not "belong to the dinner" it is just the time when you expect the dinner to appear.

You do not say "Bed's" time, because the time does not belong to the bed. It is just the time when you expect to feel like going to bed.

true you say dinner time, or bed time. And same way, you just say April Fool. And when it is more than one, i.e. plural, you just say April Fools, i.e. TWO April Fools.

but once it is in the past, i.e. April 2nd, it is OK to refer to it as April Fools' Day.

the next one, coming up in the future, in 2013, is not April Fools'. It's April Fools.

geddit? Me neither.

true you say dinner time, or bed time. And same way, you just say April Fool. And when it is more than one, i.e. plural, you just say April Fools, i.e. TWO April Fools.

but once it is in the past, i.e. April 2nd, it is OK to refer to it as April Fools' Day.

the next one, coming up in the future, in 2013, is not April Fools'. It's April Fools.

geddit? Me neither.

I think you have that spot on.

Also it is worth remembering that some of these festivals go back to a time when english didn't have the possessive apostrophe followed by S. You only have to go back 300 or 400 years when english had less tenses and was less complex and confused than what we see today.

Shakespere did not use 's as you can see here

http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/facsimile/book/Bran_F1/295/?work=WT

;)

I tend to avoid the use of an apostrophe rather than be in error.

However my teacher gave us two questions.

1 Which of the following are correct?

a " One of the professors wives is dead!"

b " One of the professor's wives is dead!"

c " One of the professors' wives is dead!"

2 "On 26 September 1983, Australia II became the first successful challenger in 132 years to win the America’s Cup".

Why is the apostrophe in the correct place?

The answers don't help me but helps deflect the attention from my error.

The reason that I will often avoid using the apostrophe is because sometimes conventional use confounds the rules as in:

Newcastle United play at a stadium previously called St James' Park, and Exeter City at St James Park. St. James's Park is in London.

Or some people create things like the following to catch me out:

My sister's friend's investments

(the investments belonging to a friend of my sister)

My sister's friends' investments

(The investments belonging to several friends of my sister.)

My sisters' friend's investments

(The investments belonging to a friend of several of my sisters)

My sisters' friends' investments

(The investments belonging to several friends of several of my sisters)Wiki

When in practice they would use the bracketed version if they really wanted to make themselves clear.

I'm not against apostrophes and I do not wish to see them superseded.

But I do want people in an official capacity to explain clearly to those of us who sometimes find themselves challenged by the apostrphe rules.

Archived