Why do people presume you're not clever if you're a carer?

You know what, this is a disgusting attitude and rather ill thought out, there is a hell of a lot more to caring for people than that.

If this is how you think then I feel a bit sorry for you because one day it will be your "bum" that needs wiping!

To be fair, it was pretty funny

Suppose that depends on how your sense of humor works.

Or whether it works at all.

Clearly not all carers are of low intelligence. For a lot of people it's a career path they choose through moral guidence, regardless of how thankless it might be at times or how poorly paid it might be. We need carers, and some of them do outrstanding jobs in difficult situations.

However, neither do you need to be a genius to be a carer. I'm not saying there aren't genius carers out there, but it's not a pre-requisite for employment.

To be fair, it was pretty funny

Really? I don't find it funny that someone who was once very proud and dignified losing the dignity they had fighting Alzheimer's or Dementia, i'm guessing not many people have experienced someone in the later stages of these awful illnesses? it's not a choice they've made?

Really? I don't find it funny that someone who was once very proud and dignified losing the dignity they had fighting Alzheimer's or Dementia, i'm guessing not many people have experienced someone in the later stages of these awful illnesses? it's not a choice they've made?

I don't know who you're talking about but no one made a joke about anyone proud and dignified with Alzheimer's. He said "you wipe bums for a living". I don't see the connection

I think it fairly safe to say that none of the people sniggering have had to watch one of their loved ones gradually lose their entire personality whilst their body continues on without them.

Nobody who has ever watched a family member go through this and had a guilty plea in their mind hoping that their loved one would die rather than have to go through the indignity and distress of losing their memory and every routine would ever laugh at the situation, nor would they disrespect the people who have the job of providing care, dignity and support for their loved one.

I have 3 daughters who work in the care sector...I am very proud of them and I know how hard they work to give the people they care for the best possible care. They all have qualifications and are always working towards more. They do it because they realise that the people in their care deserve to be looked after and afforded respect and dignity in the process.

Archived