Does the income tax threshold go up next month?

The rise in the income tax threshold is a good thing but it should have happened years ago and it still doesn't go far enough.

It always annoyed me when I started work full- time on a crap salary and saw the pitiful monthly amount reduced even further and this under a Labour government who are supposedly for the lower paid! Then they had the cheek to increase NI contributions which is a tax no matter how you dress it up.

The income tax threshold should go up quicker to ~£12K per annum by 2015 - I'm sure this would win many votes for the coalition. £1,000 a month before the taxman takes his share sounds right and fair especially with prices going up everywhere. Otherwise the working poor will increase and the incentive to work will keep going down. Make work pay and let's make the economy efficient and the workforce more motivated. Reducing tax will certainly make a happy worker. Even if other taxes increased AT LEAST people would start off on a better salary - its then up the them in how they spend it.

I think the idea of inheritance tax is getting out of hand with the problem that more and more people who are not thought of being 'wealthy' are being brought into it through fiscal drag. Yes - bring it in but only for wealth above £1 million and I think sometimes the idea that relatives have to sell the family property to pay the tax is terrible.

I think it was in the 1980s that the government found out that there as an optimum level at which higher rate tax could be collected without making the wealthy try tax avoidance, leave the country, etc. 40% seems reasonable 50% is too high - half your earnings gone - the incentive to do well is seen to be punished.

Let's get the state interference down to a minimum - reduce useless quangos, reduce the number of MPs to 400 at most - in a country the size of the UK you do not need 600 MPs which is what it will be after 2013 when the boundary changes take effect.

That's for starters - make Working for a living fairer and more rewarding - the cost of living in the UK is high - it doesn't really matter whereabouts you live here - the average wage that the man on the street brings home means it's a constant struggle - it shouldn't be!

What a load of bobbar.

So Stan thanks for the constructive comment - so what do you suggest or do you have anything to add apart from childish words. :roll:

Ignore the idiot, I dont agree with all you say, but a very well thought through and constructive contribution.

Archived