Eco-martyr's cock it up again

it would seem that after all of the effort and some cashing in by many of the big stores, that the whole bag for life / plastic bag issue has been one big con.

we are reminded over and over how a bag for life is so much better than using those nasty evil plastic bags and some businesses, such as B&Q who now charge you for a plastic bag under the environmentalism-guise.

pop over to the bbc here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17027990 and have a read, then play with the info-graphic.

we are reminded over and over how a bag for life is so much better than using those nasty evil plastic bags and some businesses, such as B&Q who now charge you for a plastic bag under the environmentalism-guise.

How's about charging you under the "they cost money" guise?

it would seem that after all of the effort and some cashing in by many of the big stores, that the whole bag for life / plastic bag issue has been one big con.

How so? The BBC graphic says that a "bag for life" starts showing a saving after 4 uses - that seems pretty good to me.

Oh, waitaminit - there's some special science stuff there as well. It turns out that you can, actually, re-use ordinary plastic bags! Well I never. Plus, it turns out that if you re-use them then it takes more uses before a "bag for life" shows an eco-saving. Well, flippin' Eureka.

Remind me - how is this a con?

How so? The BBC graphic says that a "bag for life" starts showing a saving after 4 uses - that seems pretty good to me.

If you just reuse the plastic bags you have you use 4 times less carbon. If you reuse them as bin liners as most do, you also save.

The largest and most worrying comparison is the cotton bags, and I suppose if you add on the cost to the environment for washing them too, they become even worse.

personally I think we should have the option for paper bags in the UK, just like they do in the US. This has made their costs come down and if they are recycled, they are much better for the environment.

Its strange how the gas guzzling US are more economically friendly then us Europeans when it comes to shopping bags.

Its strange how the gas guzzling US are more economically friendly then us Europeans when it comes to shopping bags.

The italian government have banned plastic bags

I think that'd be a step in the right direction here too - along with ANY non-biodegradable take-away food packaging, including confectionery items

You're never going to cure the litterbug problem, but remove the objects of the problem, and we win both environmentally and financially

If you just reuse the plastic bags you have you use 4 times less carbon. If you reuse them as bin liners as most do, you also save.

The largest and most worrying comparison is the cotton bags, and I suppose if you add on the cost to the environment for washing them too, they become even worse.

personally I think we should have the option for paper bags in the UK, just like they do in the US. This has made their costs come down and if they are recycled, they are much better for the environment.

Yep... Got all that.

So, which bit is the con, then?

Yep... Got all that.

So, which bit is the con, then?

we are told they are better for the environment, but they are not. Companies have started to use this excuse to charge you for plastic bags, this is the con.

we are told they are better for the environment, but they are not. Companies have started to use this excuse to charge you for plastic bags, this is the con.

"Bags for life" are better for the environment. The BBC info-graphic you sent me to says so. Have you conned me?

Archived