Has anyone done Route 66?

We're thinking of booking a 3 week USA road trip for my Hubby's 40th and really fancy doing route 66 (or what's left of it). Some packages we've seen have the route all planned out and your accommodation is pre-booked so all you need are flights, food & fuel.

If anyone has done this or similar trips I'd be very grateful for any tips or suggestions!

We're thinking of booking a 3 week USA road trip for my Hubby's 40th and really fancy doing route 66 (or what's left of it). Some packages we've seen have the route all planned out and your accommodation is pre-booked so all you need are flights, food & fuel.

If anyone has done this or similar trips I'd be very grateful for any tips or suggestions!

a mate of mine did it in 1977 the best time of his life:hihi::hihi:

We're doing part of it this year and taking 3 weeks to do less than half of it. We're doing about the last 1000 miles to California. Even that looks like a full itinerary with all the stops and sightseeing trips. We've booked all our own hotels using well known hotel chains and not taking any chances in the bigger cities.

We're doing part of it this year and taking 3 weeks to do less than half of it. We're doing about the last 1000 miles to California. Even that looks like a full itinerary with all the stops and sightseeing trips. We've booked all our own hotels using well known hotel chains and not taking any chances in the bigger cities.

my pal and three mates all drivers took two months no planning just booked a flight/car hire deal.he was still talking about it ten years later.

As much as we'd love to take a bit longer and really take in all the sights, I don't think our employer would be quite so understanding, especially as there would be 4 of us going from the same company!

It probably will be one of those once-in-a-lifetime things so I guess we should think carefully about what we actually want to see and then maybe try and plan our own route with the time we have.

That sounds too boring. Play it by ear :) However, book at least the first motel of the trip, as you need to be booked in somewhere (an address to give them) to get through immigration.

We hae just booked to go to California for two weeks in May to do the LA - San Francisco - Vegas - LA drive. We've booked flights and car, and just a few bits of accommodation along the way (Start and end hotel, smart hotel in Vegas and a place in Yosemite National Park). The advice we have generally had from travel agents and people who have been before is book somewhere if you're going to be there over a holiday period (we plan to be in Vegas over the Memorial Day weekend) and we were advised to book Yosemite in advance (glad we did, accommodation was rare and expensive!)

Otherwise we will wing it in motels. Best way to do it, then you are not completely ruled by your bookings.

We did consider doing Route 66 but it was a bit too ambitious for the time we had. Try Carhire3000 for car hire quotes, we got ours through Avios though using airmiles - they had some pretty good prices to offer us, so worth a call to them if someone has some airmiles they could use :)

Archived