Has anyone done Route 66?

As much as we'd love to take a bit longer and really take in all the sights, I don't think our employer would be quite so understanding, especially as there would be 4 of us going from the same company!

It probably will be one of those once-in-a-lifetime things so I guess we should think carefully about what we actually want to see and then maybe try and plan our own route with the time we have.

As others have said hotels in National Parks get booked up really early. We've got one on the rim of the Grand Canyon and one of only two hotels in Monument Valley. B****y expensive but as you say it's a once in a lifetime trip. I've got family in tow and it's height of the summer so we've booked our hotels up in advance but if you're going out of season accomodation should be cheap and plentiful as you go. And we've booked a 4WD car for some desert off roading.

The last stretch of 66 runs through my town. Not much to see unless you find office buildings, restaurants, condominiums, shopping centers, tire and brake shops of much interest.

I've never done the whole of 66 but it runs parallel to Interstate 40 (which replaced it) and which I've driven several times to Flagstaff, Arizona

If I were doing the Route 66 drive I' would start at Kingman, Arizona and drive east. That's where the original parts still are.

I've taken a couple of very long road trips from northern Indiana to Las Vegas, Nevada. For fun, we did drive part of the way on Route 66 and, as Harleyman mentioned, on U.S. 40.

If you're like me and love culinary adventures, check out some of the remaining old diners along the way. Not only is the retro architecture wonderful but you'll get to try American food classics such as chicken-fried steak, chicken 'n' waffles, green chili burgers and biscuits and gravy. As a guide or just to whet your appetite, read Jane and Michael Stern's book "Roadfood" or visit their Web site, http://www.roadfood.com. There are many other great books on Route 66's restaurants and architecture. :thumbsup:

Have a wonderful trip!

I've taken a couple of very long road trips from northern Indiana to Las Vegas, Nevada. For fun, we did drive part of the way on Route 66 and, as Harleyman mentioned, on U.S. 40.

If you're like me and love culinary adventures, check out some of the remaining old diners along the way. Not only is the retro architecture wonderful but you'll get to try American food classics such as chicken-fried steak, chicken 'n' waffles, green chili burgers and biscuits and gravy. As a guide or just to whet your appetite, read Jane and Michael Stern's book "Roadfood" or visit their Web site, http://www.roadfood.com. There are many other great books on Route 66's restaurants and architecture. :thumbsup:

Have a wonderful trip!

Haha...I should have said that watching Man vs Food has played a major part in us wanting to take this kind of trip :D

I've done driving holidays around the Western USA several times, including parts of the old Route 66, but it's not really as glamorous as you'd think. The bits that pass through small towns and villages are crammed with tacky and gaudy Route 66 souvenir shops.

We're not expecting it to be very glam at all, it's more about experiencing something different and seeing some interesting sights along the way.

And I actually love tacky souvenir shops!! My Husband dreads taking me to the coast because I'm always vanishing into gift shops to look at the 'shiny things'!!

Haha...I should have said that watching Man vs Food has played a major part in us wanting to take this kind of trip :D

Exactly.

We've already listed all the Man v Food locations along our route. Last year we went to Katz's Deli in New York for the pastrami sandwich featured on MvF. It's also the place where Harry Met Sally. It was excellent.

One very important tip: Always carry ID if you want a beer. I was refused beer at the New York Mets baseball park because I didn't have ID. Lots of places asked me for ID and I certainly can't pass for under 21!!! This year we're going to see the LA Dodgers play the Chicago Cubs. Baseball is brilliant live.

...One very important tip: Always carry ID if you want a beer. I was refused beer at the New York Mets baseball park because I didn't have ID. Lots of places asked me for ID and I certainly can't pass for under 21!!! This year we're going to see the LA Dodgers play the Chicago Cubs. Baseball is brilliant live.

This is a good point. Rules about checking ID --known as "carding" around here -- for alcohol sales vary from state to state; sometimes venues themselves opt for even stricter rules. Some places will check ID if you look under 40 years. Until recently, Indiana laws required vendors to check all IDs; needless to say, the 90-year-olds buying cognac were a bit cranky.:rant:

Archived