Look North - Our economy.

i live in luxury compared to my childhood days

It annoys me to hear some people constantly moaning about things without realising how much our lives have improved.

I remember the slum conditions some people had to live in - hard working people.

i live in luxury compared to my childhood days

Me too . We lived for 3 months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to get up at 6 o clock in the morning , clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread...I forgot the next bit!:hihi:

Me too . We lived for 3 months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to get up at 6 o clock in the morning , clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread...I forgot the next bit!:hihi:

luxury!

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

It annoys me to hear some people constantly moaning about things without realising how much our lives have improved.

I remember the slum conditions some people had to live in - hard working people.

My grandparents had the luxury of being brought up in a council house with a indoor toilet. I have friends bringing up children in private rented HMOs.

Slums are back!

I would rather youth could afford to attend by public transport a dance and have a cheeky drink, rather than sit and watch crap on tv.

Tv may be cheap but it ain't a luxury it is poor quality bread and circus.

luxury!

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

That's the one. Absolute genius. Quality.Probably my favourite ever MP sketch.....spam, spam, spam, spam.............now you got me going!:D

My grandparents had the luxury of being brought up in a council house with a indoor toilet. I have friends bringing up children in private rented HMOs.

Slums are back!

The slums you refer to are nothing like those that many people in Sheffield lived in.

I was brought up in a prefab and think it would be a good idea to build them again as those who lived in them loved them.

The slums you refer to are nothing like those that many people in Sheffield lived in.

I was brought up in a prefab and think it would be a good idea to build them again as those who lived in them loved them.

Having recently stayed in some of the old 1 up 1 downs without toilets in Leeds, and prefabs in Sheffield etc.. I highly recommend the prefabs. The prefabs serve a vital purpose, such a shame that many upon Arbour were demolished!

I'd happily move into a prefab upon Arbour/

Men had space, a roof, they had the opportunity to better themselves. What some might call sub standard accommodation, but if you ask me, it was good, and it was cheap enough for a man to save and better himself!

Having recently stayed in some of the old 1 up 1 downs without toilets in Leeds, and prefabs in Sheffield etc.. I highly recommend the prefabs. The prefabs serve a vital purpose, such a shame that many upon Arbour were demolished!

I'd happily move into a prefab upon Arbour/

Men had space, a roof, they had the opportunity to better themselves. What some might call sub standard accommodation, but if you ask me, it was good, and it was cheap enough for a man to save and better himself!

I agree entirely, they had fitted wardrobes, fitted kitchen, inside toilets and a bathroom.

There was an outside storeroom and garden.

Where I lived there was a field behind the prefabs where we could play.

We were in a crescent and there was a great community spirit.

We eventually moved but my mother to her dying day would have loved to move back into a prefab.

Anyway, back on track from t'shoebox in t'middle of t'road...

this bloke could be waiting for umpteen thousand pounds from customers but have an immediate need for a bit of cash just to help him meet his payroll, buy materials etc. once his customers have paid him then he can repay the loan and carry on in business.

That is very true. For as long as I can remember, it's late/deliberately delayed payments from clients that cause real hardship for companies of all sizes. The worst payers are the multinationals followed closely by local authorities.

They happily take the 2 1/2% MA and pay in 3, 4, 6 months, and nobody ever raises this point.

Still think the stone-cleaning bloke is flogging a dead horse, though. I'm sure it'll be councils giving him the most work, so how long before they get their own direct labour to do it? And it's so hand-to-mouth that the slightest unforseen will tip him over the edge.

And as for dog groomers...

Archived