Do people around you seem to just drink?

The problem is, drinking alcohol as part of social life is deeply ingrained in British culture. It would take a very long time to change peoples' opinions and habits, much like with smoking.

Drinking does not bother me, I can take it or leave it. Sure it's nice to have a few once in a while, but I have been out stone-cold sober and still had a good time. If someone told me I could never drink again, to be honest, it would not bother me at all.

Exactly. I've had more than fair share in the past, but I'm really not bothered about it any more.

Drinking is cool, its just when people turn embarrassing and cant handle it which isnt cool..

They can't handle it because of a genetic weakness in the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme.

Taking cysteine, vitamin C, sugary sweets and vitamin B1 before drinking may help to break down the alcohol faster.

Not that there is anything wrong with it

SOME people think there's nothing wrong with it, this is because it has generally become socially acceptable

Now take a LESS harmful but ILLEGAL (and untaxed) recreational drug, that's less commonly used, and people are outraged/horrified/angered by it. Crazy aint it?

but it seems peoples lifes revolve around alochol in everything they do!

Yes, some people even joke about how they think they may be alcoholics, unaware of the sad irony creeping up on them.

You want something to eat? Alochol?

Socalising? Alochol...

Staying in watching tv? Alochol?

After work.. pint..

Is this all we do? This this what we are now just known for?!

I see so many girls cheating when alcohol is involved!

...and men, and that's the least of the problems when people have too much to drink.

Is this the Devils work?

You're not being serious, are you?

What gets me is alcohol is a poison. An actual toxic. A real drug thats addictive and kills. But people don't seem to care. They have a real laissez faire attitude to it. Mention banning it or increasing the price of it and they are up in arms about it but its dangerous and causes misery. Yet other drugs that are less harmful and less addictive are illegal and mention relaxing the law on them and people act as though you want to make puppy murder legal. It blows my mind.

Totally agree, the first handful of posts on this thread are a good example of the light-hearted and humorous/fond attitude we tend to have toward what is actually a very potent, dangerous and addictive drug. I think the relaxed way in which we think about alcohol is what makes it most dangerous.

It's all merry times.

I feel sorry for people who dont drink, they wake up in the morning and thats as good as they are going to feel all day.

PS MUSLIMS DID NOT INVENT ALCHOHOL

CALM DOWN.

DO NOT CAPITAL LOCK ME.

You clearly do not like that fact Muslims invented something you are addicted to.

Tell me, where does the word Alcohol come from? Is it a Christian word?

Just because Jesus (apparently) turn water to wine (evidence)? Doesn't mean it's true.

Archived