Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

Is a car a luxury or a necessity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

• luxury
    • necessity

There seem to be lots of motorists bleating about the price of fuel these days, almost as if owning and running a car is an essential part of life you can't do without.

It might be true that some people are reliant on their cars but then that's something they have chosen for themselves. If you choose to live a long way from where you work where there isn't much public transport then surely that means that you have chosen to become reliant on your car.

I'm convinved that the vast majority of people living in Sheffield live within a reasonable distance of a bus stop, tram stop or train station so I can't understand why so many people seem to think they have to own a car.

In my opinion, a car is a luxury and in these hard times luxury items shouldbe taxed more heavily than essentials.

i live in thorpe hesley and work in chesterfield and my wife works near meadowhall so it would be impossible for us both to live near our work places, i also own 2 cars one for work and one for personnal use along with 4 vans, if we all relied on public transport then everybodys taxes would rise as the government recieves a massive ammount of tax and vat from fuel duty and road tax.

would you be happy to pay more in taxes when you dont have a car?

i live in thorpe hesley and work in chesterfield and my wife works near meadowhall so it would be impossible for us both to live near our work places,

Having the cars made the choice to both work far from home possible. Not having the cars may have prevented you from making that choice but it was still a choice you made and you get to accept the downsides as well as the upsides of it.

i also own 2 cars one for work and one for personnal use along with 4 vans, if we all relied on public transport then everybodys taxes would rise as the government recieves a massive ammount of tax and vat from fuel duty and road tax.

You really should avoid referring "road tax", there isn't one in this country.

When you are 24 hour call, and also work at all hours, a car is a necessity.

Public tranport does not start while mid morning, about 7 am, far too late for most essential workers, and the rail network is generally broken down by mid afternoon.

Driving takes me half an hour, public transport anything up to 3 hours.

And peoples lives depend, literaly, on my work.

For me they're a luxury. I have managed all my adult life without one. Clearly they're a necessity for some, but many others use them for journeys they could easily make on foot which is both selfish and extremely lazy.

i live in thorpe hesley and work in chesterfield and my wife works near meadowhall so it would be impossible for us both to live near our work places, i also own 2 cars one for work and one for personnal use along with 4 vans, if we all relied on public transport then everybodys taxes would rise as the government recieves a massive ammount of tax and vat from fuel duty and road tax.

Why do you need four vans? You can only ever drive one at once.

Archived