Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

Is a car a luxury or a necessity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

• luxury
    • necessity

We have 2 cars, a whopping great big Land Rover 4 x 4, and a little tiny Fiat. One for me and one for her indoors. Don't care what anyone else thinks, don't care what they cost to run, don't care about anyone other than my missus.

Cars are a necessity these days, it really is as simple as that. As for "global warming" a complete con instigated by con men/women. I don't give a fig about it.

I wonder if multi millionaires think cars are a necessity when they have fleets of them.

I'll certainly give our posters on here a wave as they stand in the cold waiting for the bus, tram, train or whatever as I sail past with the heater blowing warm air up my trouser leg.

Public transport - bah humbug.

Angel.

We have 2 cars, a whopping great big Land Rover 4 x 4, and a little tiny Fiat. One for me and one for her indoors. Don't care what anyone else thinks, don't care what they cost to run, don't care about anyone other than my missus.

Cars are a necessity these days, it really is as simple as that. As for "global warming" a complete con instigated by con men/women. I don't give a fig about it.

I wonder if multi millionaires think cars are a necessity when they have fleets of them.

I'll certainly give our posters on here a wave as they stand in the cold waiting for the bus, tram, train or whatever as I sail past with the heater blowing warm air up my trouser leg.

Public transport - bah humbug.

Angel.

Enjoy your traffic jams. ;)

bit of choice A bit of choice B for me

my daughters disabled, taking a taxi to every hospital appointment would be costly

also my daughters school is several miles away and it would be either 3 bus rides or a bloody long walk up and down huge hills either carrying the child or pushing her in her chair. not practical so car it is ( we were promised transport when we transfered from special school to mainstream out of area, council saved money by telling me to do it )

and the luxary part is being able to get to our once a year holiday in a caravan with all my daughters equipment, not a chance of catching a train with it all

I do the nightmare run daily, Junction 26 (chain Bar) to Junction 31 (Ponte) very day.

It is absolutely hellish.

If any one considers driving in those conditions a luxury, they must be mentally ill.:D

Having the cars made the choice to both work far from home possible. Not having the cars may have prevented you from making that choice but it was still a choice you made and you get to accept the downsides as well as the upsides of it.

You really should avoid referring "road tax", there isn't one in this country.

you never answered my question about the massive rise in income tax if people turned to public transport and the revenue from fuel duty dropped, would you be willing to pay more?

The price of fuel is not too high, because the roads are clogged up.

If when the fuel goes up, and as a results less cars are on the road then you could argue that the cost of running a car is too high.

The cost of insurance? yes - it certainly is too high for many young people, and some are driving without insurance, so this cost can be avoided.

The only sure fire way of cutting back road usage is via increased petrol costs, yes it will hurt some people and force them off the road, but at least the roads will be less congested for everyone else.

Cars are a luxury for most people. Unless I had a driving job (again) I would try to avoid the situation where the only option for commuting was a car. I also find it astonishing when I hear people putting their children in schools far from home and driving them there every day.

I used to catch the bus or walk a couple of miles to Chaucer school and I would expect any able bodied person to do the same.

I can easily commute on the bus if I need to so if my car falls apart and I don't have the funds to fix it I will scrap it and do without.

Archived