Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

Is a car a luxury or a necessity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

• luxury
    • necessity

Mpoeds aren't that useful when taking the family out to buy a few grow bags and a new TV and fridge.

Have you heard of something called internet shopping? It means you can have anything you like delivered to your door so you don't need to drive to a shop to buy it.

Have you heard of something called internet shopping? It means you can have anything you like delivered to your door so you don't need to drive to a shop to buy it.

Yes they are the folks who get all the crap vegetables that gets left in the shop and pay over the odds or the privilige.

I've also seen folk who buy clothes over the internet. They look like proper dicks because nothing fits. Its just that some folks have higher standards than others. Although as the internet shoppers sit at home all day watching auction TV it probably doesn't matter.

Meals on wheels or dinner at The Old Vicarage??? Who you gonna call?

for me, it's a luxury, not a necessity and not all that difficult to do without. Sometimes, I have a car and sometimes I do not. I didn't have one between 2007 and 2009. Now I do have a car, but I don't think I'm going to bother putting it on the road again this year. The difference for me in using public transport and having a car, is about £200 to £250 per month. It's not just the costs of fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc. Just using a car increases your expenditure on other items as well. You can be just driving past a takeaway, and decide to have an Indian or a Chinese on a whim, or buy something that you wouldn't otherwise buy, just because the opportunity is there to buy it, simply because you have a car. Personally I've more or less decided that this year, I'd prefer to have the money in my pocket rather than in the car.

Whilst large parts of the economy have grown to be structured around having a car, out of town supermarkets centres, etc., The fact that there are many people who live quite happily without a car shows it's not necessary - easier yes, but not necessary.

"Some form of transport" is not synonymous with car which is what this thread is about. Society moved from people living relatively close to work (say within a 5 mile bike ride) to further away because of cars, there is no fundamental reason why the opposite can't be true over time if people want.

I think there is a fundamental reason that it can't be reversed. Many families have two working members now and they don't generally work close together. Which makes it impossible for a family to live within a cycling distance of work for both working adults.

Increasing opportunities for things like telecommuting mean commuting will be less of an issue for many people.

This has been happening for at least a decade and to be honest it's still happening very slowly, businesses prefer to have people on site at the end of the day.

That, combined with some people choosing to walk/cycle, could reduce the traffic on roads to a level where it flows far more freely benefiting everyone who, for some reason, really does have to travel by car/van/etc.

There are possibilities, I've only used my car once this week (although I'll be using it today). But even at this level of usage I wouldn't go without it, when I do want to use it it's because it's better than the alternatives.

I think there is a fundamental reason that it can't be reversed. Many families have two working members now and they don't generally work close together. Which makes it impossible for a family to live within a cycling distance of work for both working adults.

People choose to work in different directions from home; nothing forces them to do so. A car is still a luxury in those cases, it's something they buy in order to enable a choice they make.

Only if it's impossible to live near where you work, can a car be considered a necessity, and that doesn't mean what your current home/work position actually is; it means if it would always have been impossible to get into a position where home and work are close together.

Only if it's impossible to live near where you work, can a car be considered a necessity, and that doesn't mean what your current home/work position actually is; it means if it would always have been impossible to get into a position where home and work are close together.

So a roof over ones head, knives and forks, heating and clothes etc are all luxuries as we could live without them. I think you are confusing the modern definition of living with that of existing.

yes of course they are a luxury item. if it was purely transport that was needed was is wrong with a moped?. lets face it 90 percent of car journeys only involve one person being in it. if we were more conciseness of the cost not only in cash terms but in pollution as well we would all think twice about ditching a car and taking to two wheels

Why not go even further and suggest everyone cycles? :D

I know its not suitable for everyone due to distance etc. but it would be even cheaper than a moped. Costs literally nothing and gets you fitter :)

I intend to start cycling the 3 miles to work. I've done it before and it is a lot less stressful than driving, and should be quicker because I can use the cycle paths on the pavement on Penistone Road :)

So a roof over ones head, knives and forks, heating and clothes etc are all luxuries as we could live without them. I think you are confusing the modern definition of living with that of existing.

You are wrong. All of those things are considered necessities, but a car is not, unless it's impossible to get all of things in one place near where you work.

yes of course they are a luxury item. if it was purely transport that was needed was is wrong with a moped?. lets face it 90 percent of car journeys only involve one person being in it. if we were more conciseness of the cost not only in cash terms but in pollution as well we would all think twice about ditching a car and taking to two wheels

They are a necessity if you spend your holidays where there is little public transport and you have two full lots of fishing tackle to transport so stop being so high and mighty

Archived