Where does Malin Bridge start & end?

"classed as" - by who?

To my mind the real anomoly is that Rivelin School is nowhere near Rivelin. :loopy:

It is in Rivelin Valley and overlooks the river,some 50 metres to the north.The greater anamoly is how City School is a suburban loction.

I've often wondered where Mallin Bridge actually is as well mate. I usually approach from Rivelin Valley Road and come to that one-way system with the tacky shops which I know as Malin Bridge. I'm assuming that bridge is "Malin Bridge" and all those tacky shops are Mailin Bridge as well, but I don't know where it officially starts and ends.

I'd always suspected that Malin Bridge was given to the city by Pope Innocent III following the fall of the Byzantine empire and that it was transferred here, by elephant, from the old city of Constantinople as sort of "thank you" for helping out with the Crusades.

But then again, I do have a vivid sense of imagination.

BTW - The river Nile flows north - does that help?:huh:

How can you say this is a tacky area with Bolers,TWO chippies,a greazy spoon,gun shop and loads of empties-it is Sheffield very own Knightsbridge with its own tram stop and river confluence.

How can you say this is a tacky area with Bolers,TWO chippies,a greazy spoon,gun shop and loads of empties-it is Sheffield very own Knightsbridge with its own tram stop and river confluence.

Bolers is most certainly not a tacky shop. It has been there for ever and you can buy stuff in there that you will never find in a Plumb Centre or B&Q. Bolers is a hidden Sheffield Treasure.

Findon Street is in neither Malin Bridge nor Wisewood. I've never heard anything more ridiculous in my life. Findon Street is in Hillsborough.

Bolers is most certainly not a tacky shop. It has been there for ever and you can buy stuff in there that you will never find in a Plumb Centre or B&Q. Bolers is a hidden Sheffield Treasure.

Findon Street is in neither Malin Bridge nor Wisewood. I've never heard anything more ridiculous in my life. Findon Street is in Hillsborough.

Well you must be deaf if thats the most outrageous experience you have endured and its says much for your parochialism.Bolers is tacky and reeks of food at lunch when the owner pies on pounds eating yet another 600 calories from the Supper Spot,themselves a tacky chip shop who use rancid dripping to fry their chips.

Well you must be deaf if thats the most outrageous experience you have endured and its says much for your parochialism.Bolers is tacky and reeks of food at lunch when the owner pies on pounds eating yet another 600 calories from the Supper Spot,themselves a tacky chip shop who use rancid dripping to fry their chips.

I imagine you are one of those who likes to post in the regular "Hillsborough has gone to the dogs" threads. I say to you that a man who is tired of S6 is tired of life.

I imagine you are one of those who likes to post in the regular "Hillsborough has gone to the dogs" threads. I say to you that a man who is tired of S6 is tired of life.

This shows that your imagination,like the breadth of your aural experience is severely limited.I live in S6 and love tackiness,especially in forum comments.However I would not seek to defend the indefensible,and Malin Bridge is shoddy and fails to exploit the potential of its river confluence.

It's all 'area snobbery'

I used to go out with a girl who lived on Lindsay Avenue (S5) and her and and her family where adament they lived in Ecclesfield.

I was like 'no you dont, you live on't cross'

I don't think anyone is trying to say that Malin Bridge/Wisewood/Hillsborough are any better or worse than each other! I know what you mean though, I have a friend who lives in the middle of Arbourthorne and he's adamant that he actually lives in Heeley. Why does anyone care?!

I don't think anyone is trying to say that Malin Bridge/Wisewood/Hillsborough are any better or worse than each other! I know what you mean though, I have a friend who lives in the middle of Arbourthorne and he's adamant that he actually lives in Heeley. Why does anyone care?!

You ought to be able to answer your own question as you raised the issue of boundaries and place identity.

Why does anyone care? I'll tell you why anyone cares....

Inverted snobbery.

Back to Malin Bridge for a moment - I described it as having "tacky" shops. I am not passing any comment on those businesses, as to how good or bad they are, just on the general appearance of the place. It looks tacky and run-down. That's all. Might be the best shops in Sheffield on that stretch for all I know. (wouldn't take much)

Why does anyone care? I'll tell you why anyone cares....

Inverted snobbery.

Back to Malin Bridge for a moment - I described it as having "tacky" shops. I am not passing any comment on those businesses, as to how good or bad they are, just on the general appearance of the place. It looks tacky and run-down. That's all. Might be the best shops in Sheffield on that stretch for all I know. (wouldn't take much)

It's only snobbery if someone is saying that one area is better than another. I don't care whether my street is classed as Wisewood, Malin Bridge, Hillsborough or anywhere else, I just had a passing wonder where the boundaries are of the area I supposedly live in are, so I thought I'd ask on here in case anyone knew. Didn't expect it to turn into a row about shops and accusations of snobbery, people on here really can turn anything into an argument!

Archived