Scarborough, Whitby, Skegness, Brid or Blackpool

Whitby. It was lovely the last time I went. Nice little shops/nice places to eat in the evening and quality guesthouse

Scarborough, I went to about 5.5 years back and it was ok for a night.. But went again about 3 years ago, and it just seemed alot more run down

and skegness.. I went years ago and wouldnt go back...

I love the restaurants in Scarborough. Da Claudio is my favourite. It is an authentic Italian restaurant that provides excellent food at a reasonable price. The food is always cooked to perfection by a guy who is passionate about food. They are rightly rated very highly on Trip Advisor and do a very reasonable early evening 3 course special......NO....I am not related!:(

I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

Personally, Scarborough for me. Because of the facilities, shops, places to eat, lovely views to the castle, beach, nice walks at night around the esplanade, Peasholme Park is lovely, and very nice lit up at night, but it's difficult to find anywhere to have a nice drink, and even moreso with kids in tow there, and difficult to park, and I haven't found a really good chippy yet there, or a good playground for the kids.

Whitby is a close second. Lovely views towards the abbey, beach not as good as Scarborough in my opinion, a really nice atmoshpere, decent shopping, some nice pubs, a nightmare to park though.

I like the harbour at Brid and the gardens that overlook the beach, I love the lighthouse at Flamborough, and Sowerby Hall (sp?). Shopping is limited. A few hotels near the harbour have bars where kids can sit with you outside. Prices seem to be cheaper than Whitby and Scarborough.

Love the dunes at Skegness. It's not great for shopping and I've yet to find anywhere (except one chippy I've forgotten the name of on chip pan alley) that does nice food.

With Blackpool it really depends on your taste. The beach is awesome, the tower's worth a visit. There is really great shopping, and the outlet at Fleetwood isn't far away. The food in the town is great but on the front is dreadful. It's not as picturesque as the places above though, and I'm not sure I'd want to take kids out at night in main areas, as it can resemble Falaraki, and very few places cater for kids at night, and you probably wouldn't want to take them there anyway, except the arcades.

Which one is your favourite and why? I enjoy good long walks especially on the cliff tops. I also enjoy the size of the resort and the real proper town shopping centre. So, for me, it is Scarborough without a doubt.

Ditto for me too followed by Filey and then Whitby.

They can keep Brid and Blackpool - not for me I'm afraid but to be fair to Brid it is along time since I went there so it may have changed.

I love the restaurants in Scarborough. Da Claudio is my favourite. It is an authentic Italian restaurant that provides excellent food at a reasonable price. The food is always cooked to perfection by a guy who is passionate about food. They are rightly rated very highly on Trip Advisor and do a very reasonable early evening 3 course special......NO....I am not related!:(

There used to be a really good restaurant in Scarbro called Spencers 5 course meal for £15 but that was back in 1996. Loved it

Scarbro has some very special memories and I still love it there now :)

i used to go to blackpool every year growing up, spent all my time....and money in the arcades and funhouse lol

tbh i cant really remember brid or skegvegas, been but not for a very very long time.

dont get to scarborough very often, seemed ok, like whitby but bigger lol, bigger / more shops, awkward for me to get to just for an hour or so out tho so dont really go

i only live about 10 miles from whitby so if we go shopping its mostly to whitby.....or guisborough or middlesbrough, very occasionly redcar but again thats awkward...4 buses and its only like half hour away lol, very occasionly we do the tourist thing with the kids for a change too, although the local paper said the lighthouse is now closed due to health and safety

Hi melthebell, I'm in the dark about the lighthouse you're referring to. I wonder if you could assist me? My kids are crazy about lighthouses. The last time we went to Whitby we ended up driving all the way to Flamborough a couple of nights, as the kids love the lighthouse there. Is there anything remotely comparable/any sort of working lighthouse that we can get reasonably close to by car, near to Whitby that you know of please? I saw one on the map/google on something (forgotten the name) Hill, Whitby, but we tried to find it a few times and were unsuccessful. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

The Stephen Joseph Theatre at Scarborough is brilliant. Alan Aykbourn premiers his plays there. There's also an open air theatre in the park, and the Spa which is a lovely bit of Victoriana.

I've just come back from a few days in Scarborough and sadly more and more shops are standing empty, and if many more close I feel it's teetering on the brink of going down hill. So please support it. It really is a lovely place.

Hi melthebell, I'm in the dark about the lighthouse you're referring to. I wonder if you could assist me? My kids are crazy about lighthouses. The last time we went to Whitby we ended up driving all the way to Flamborough a couple of nights, as the kids love the lighthouse there. Is there anything remotely comparable/any sort of working lighthouse that we can get reasonably close to by car, near to Whitby that you know of please? I saw one on the map/google on something (forgotten the name) Hill, Whitby, but we tried to find it a few times and were unsuccessful. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

This might help

Part of Whitby Pier is closed at the moment for repairs but last time we went you could still go to the top of the lighthouse. I think it cost a couple of quid but I don't think there are strict opening hours, just when some old bloke decides to open it up.

It's a great view but a bit scary going up and down.

Love getting on the bus at Bridlington and going up to Bempton Cliffs(RSPB nature reserve). I'd stay for a few hours and then go back to Brid and spend a little time around the amusements before taking a 20-30 minute boat trip around the coast.

I think Bridlington is a smashing place. Scarborough is great too. Not keen on Skeggy, and Blackpool is just too busy. Although when I was a kid, I thought they were great.

Archived