RAF bases in or around Lincs

Waddington is relatively quiet nowadays since the Nimrods have gone although watching the occasional E-3D Sentry take off and landing can make up for the lack of action.

Scampton is currently very quiet for reasons posted earlier.

Cranwell is used for initial flying training so there's not much in the way of fighter aircraft although there is plenty of flying activity.

Coningsby is the place to go if you want the latest fast, noisy fighter aircraft! Lots of take-offs and landings most weekdays and as an earlier poster said, there's the opposite end of the specturm with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight who's schedule can be found here

I have a holiday home on tattershall lakes, which backs on to RAF conningsby and they the eurofighters are up in 2--3s most days and then some night flights (can't see much then though). We get to see formations from spitfires and the lanc a load during the summer as they practice and then last year they went for the royal wedding, which I assume they will do for the jubilee this year, and only once have I seen/Felt the vulcan, it was about 300 meters off the floor over the base and then the pilot pulled up and gunned it, I thought my bones would rattle out of my body.

Weekend at Conningsby are quieter with only a couple of dakota's and the odd eurofighter doing stunts. (euro fighter not dakota).

there are many holiday home/ tent sites near there that will be able to accomidate you.

I lived on the flightpath of RAF waddington as a kid during the 80s and early 90s. Was a really busy base then especially with the Vulcans and Awacs. So many good memories of running out into the garden when i heard anything coming on approach.

Seeing Lightnings, Jaguars, F-15s, F-16s Tornados screaming over on approach whilst sat in the garden was just fantastic.

I live approx. 2 miles from Cranwell and 5 miles from waddington.

As above Cranwell is just twin engined trainers that goover my house 2-3 times per week.

Waddington has the AWACs and there is a viewing area next to the road. Don't thing they fly that often though.

Conningsby is your best bet but better to goin the week IMO.

Its pretty cheap to get a tour of the memorial flight and at this time of the year all the planes should be there. You may be lucky likemy Dad last year who visited it when a Spitfire was doing an engine test. They couls stand approx. 20 years from it.

There is a flying programme on the Memorial flight website which details what and when the planes are flying. Don't think 2012 programme is out yet.