37p extra for a packet of fags?

If someone is addicted to food and its coursing them health problems does that mean we should tax them on every calories they go over there suggested daily limit?

I'm a smoker. This will force more people to smoke fake/knock off cigs and that will course more health problems!

Buy straight tobacco onthe black market.... there are no chemicals at all. :thumbsup:

Anyone else thinking it will soon be cheaper to smoke neat Cannabis than spark up a cig ?

At current street prices and laws permitting as they are, that is a long way off.

As things stand and have for a long time, it is far cheaper to buy counterfeit/smuggled/genuine nicotine from abroad. As many do. It's cheaper than paying UK tax. Hmmm, don't this sound very similar to the 50% income tax rate debate?:suspect:

If smoking is costing so much on the NHS, why don't the goverment ban cigs completely??, oops no, way too much money would be lost in taxes.

Why not also ban really overweight people,eating none healthy foods, after watching channel five earlier this week, and seeing how our ambulance sevice, deal with carrying and moving these overweight people, was awful.

So the Nhs is now investing in inflatable beds, at £9.000 a time, and what taxes do these overweight people pay ?? or do they pay taxes on all the junk food they eat.

In a discussion with the hubby yesterday, he was moaning that when you go to the shop, and you buy your cigarettes, its all about the change from your £10 note. You can't get anywhere near as much as you could before, blah blah.

I then said yes, but think about it... If they went up by 40p (which they haven't) and you smoke 20 a day, thats £2.80 a week, so just buy 10 less a week, or smoke one less a day, and theres no price difference at all. Its only a fag a day.

I think it made him feel a bit better, its not as bad as it sounds, is it, really?

Archived