Why don't OAPs pay tax on £1 earned past £7745?

Why don't I receive JSA as I paid into the system all my life and do not receive state pension yet ?

I think contribution based JSA is only for 6 months, after that it's means tested, so your redundancy payment (any other income?) will probably make you ineligible for income based JSA.

So you might be able to get contribution based JSA for six months, after that it depends how much money you've got.

I took voluntary redundancy in my 60s and my wife still works.

The point is that I was told I don't have to sign on and look for work, which suits me but seems strange as I am not of pensionable age.

My redundancy money is paying towards our living costs until I get state pension.

At present (but it's going to change), people over 60 are not required to claim JSA and look for work; they can claim income support instead.

If your redundancy settlement means you have a sizeable lump sum in savings or investments, your income will be considered too high to entitle you to any income support.

This was introduced when the European Union pointed out that it's illegal to have different pension ages for men than for women. Both genders must be treated the same. They did not then reduce the pension age for men to 60, but they did change the rules in practice, so that men over 60 didn't have to sign on, didn't have to look for work, and would get the same amount in income support that a pensioner on Pension Credit would be receiving.

I think contribution based JSA is only for 6 months, after that it's means tested, so your redundancy payment (any other income?) will probably make you ineligible for income based JSA.

So you might be able to get contribution based JSA for six months, after that it depends how much money you've got.

Not even for 6 months.

It just seems strange.

At present (but it's going to change), people over 60 are not required to claim JSA and look for work; they can claim income support instead.

If your redundancy settlement means you have a sizeable lump sum in savings or investments, your income will be considered too high to entitle you to any income support.

This was introduced when the European Union pointed out that it's illegal to have different pension ages for men than for women. Both genders must be treated the same. They did not then reduce the pension age for men to 60, but they did change the rules in practice, so that men over 60 didn't have to sign on, didn't have to look for work, and would get the same amount in income support that a pensioner on Pension Credit would be receiving.

It seems strange though that one is classed as retired and so doesn't receive JSA but is not entitled to a state pension.

In fact redundancy pay is in fact in lieu of JSA in some cases it appears.

I think Heading North has answered the question comprehensively but thankyou for your help.

Yeah... if you get income support then that's better than JSA, however if you don't qualify for income support (it sounds means tested) then you might still be able to get contribution based JSA.

Yeah... if you get income support then that's better than JSA, however if you don't qualify for income support (it sounds means tested) then you might still be able to get contribution based JSA.

No you can't.

Don't get me wrong it suits me not signing on or having to look for work at my age and not claiming state benefits.

No you can't.

Don't get me wrong it suits me not signing on or having to look for work at my age and not claiming state benefits.

I don't blame you. Jobcentres are depressing places, the staff are trained to talk down to you & try to make you feel worthless. JSA is only really for the desperate. If you've got enough money to support yourself then there's no need.

You did ask why don't you get JSA, the answer is because you choose not to & whoever you talked to at the job centre might have been confused about your exact circumstances (I think they assumed you could claim income support instead). You should be entitled to it for 6 months, if you've paid enough NI, are below retirement age, want to claim it & start looking for work.

Archived