Why don't OAPs pay tax on £1 earned past £7745?

I don't blame you. Jobcentres are depressing places, the staff are trained to talk down to you & try to make you feel worthless. JSA is only really for the desperate. If you've got enough money to support yourself then there's no need.

You did ask why don't you get JSA, the answer is because you choose not to & whoever you talked to at the job centre might have been confused about your exact circumstances (I think they assumed you could claim income support instead). You should be entitled to it for 6 months, if you've paid enough NI, are below retirement age, want to claim it & start looking for work.

You are of the opinion many others are, I was having this conversation with a mate the other day.

I don't get it because my wife works and I have savings.

I initially thought these didn't affect JSA but found out they did.

No you can't.

Don't get me wrong it suits me not signing on or having to look for work at my age and not claiming state benefits.

I thought you could, if you chose, carry on looking for work and claiming JSA between 60 and 65, but I'm happy to believe someone who says I'm wrong. All I knew for certain was that you were not required to do, in that you can claim income support and not bother looking for work.

It is worth your while checking what the savings limits are for income support payments and perhaps filling in a claim. Anything above £10,000 in capital will affect the amount you could get, but I'm not sure how much capital means you are no longer entitled to any of it. (And, of course, if you redundancy money gets spent on paying your living expenses, than if it falls below the limit you can claim at that point.)

(Edit since I note you've just posted that your wife works; if you live with someone who has an income, you won't get any income support.)

I thought you could, if you chose, carry on looking for work and claiming JSA between 60 and 65, but I'm happy to believe someone who says I'm wrong. All I knew for certain was that you were not required to do, in that you can claim income support and not bother looking for work.

It is worth your while checking what the savings limits are for income support payments and perhaps filling in a claim. Anything above £10,000 in capital will affect the amount you could get, but I'm not sure how much capital means you are no longer entitled to any of it. (And, of course, if you redundancy money gets spent on paying your living expenses, than if it falls below the limit you can claim at that point.)

(Edit since I note you've just posted that your wife works; if you live with someone who has an income, you won't get any income support.)

Sorry if I missed out a relevant point that I am in receipt of a works pension.

Sorry if I missed out a relevant point that I am in receipt of a works pension.

The amount, if any, of income support you're entitled to depends on your joint income and capital savings. If you have no savings, you should be entitled to:

Enough income support to bring your total joint income to about £190;

Help with housing costs over and above that.

A working wife and a works pension probably means you have more than £190 a week coming in anyway.

Archived