What are they talking about "granny tax"

It's not a "granny tax", that is just spin from the left wing press. .

I will give you the Mirror but what about the other three

The Daily Mail says the chancellor has "picked the pockets of pensioners". The Express says 5m of them have been "robbed". And the Sun says that, while he has saved Wallace and Gromit with his film incentive, he has put too much money in "the wrong trousers".

The most brutal assessment is in the Mirror, where Mr Osborne and David Cameron are the subject of a mocked-up picture showing them wearing hoodies and carrying a baseball bat. "Mugged", says the headline.

Or, in other words.......

Pensioners will not recieve on penny above what they currently receive, but Wayne Rooney will receive an additional £700,000 per year for no extra effort.

But, Hey! we're all in it together!

It's just that some are standing on the shoulders of others.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347677/Top-footballers-like-Wayne-Rooney-dodge-millions-tax-cashing-loophole.html

Top footballers have been avoiding tax for years and one of the measures in the budget is to clamp down on these dodgers. So Mr Rooney will be paying considerably more tax in future.

Do you consider The Daily Mail left wing? :loopy:

No, of course not, but they, like much of the media, have put "granny tax" in inverted commas, so where did it originate?

I'm not a political person btw, in fact I'm anti party politics, so have no agenda. Just dislike the way these things get distorted. It's not a tax at all, as you will know.

I apologise if I did offend anybody's party affiliations though, and take back my unintended slur. Oh no, wait, I don't give a toss. :hihi:

No, of course not, but they, like much of the media, have put "granny tax" in inverted commas, so where did it originate?

I'm not a political person btw, in fact I'm anti party politics, so have no agenda. Just dislike the way these things get distorted. It's not a tax at all, as you will know.

I apologise if I did offend anybody's party affiliations though, and take back my unintended slur. Oh no, wait, I don't give a toss. :hihi:

It originated on twitter within minutes of the budgets paperwork being made available. Gransnet (im not making this up) kicked up a huge fuss yesterday and twitter was abuzz with their comments. The press picked it up, and had a field day with their front pages together.

Once upon a time you could ensure what the headlines would be after a budget.....the internet has changed this now.

:D

It originated on twitter within minutes of the budgets paperwork being made available. Gransnet (im not making this up) kicked up a huge fuss yesterday and twitter was abuzz with their comments. The press picked it up, and had a field day with their front pages together.

Once upon a time you could ensure what the headlines would be after a budget.....the internet has changed this now.

:D

There main interest is still sensationalism.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347677/Top-footballers-like-Wayne-Rooney-dodge-millions-tax-cashing-loophole.html

Top footballers have been avoiding tax for years and one of the measures in the budget is to clamp down on these dodgers. So Mr Rooney will be paying considerably more tax in future.

So, the government know that the richest and most privileged in our country are avoiding paying tax left, right, and centre, as the majority are struggling to buy the basic necessities and pay the bills. And what is there answer to this? Drop the taxes for the rich! Absolutely disgusting.

So, they're finally going to tackle tax avoidance are they? Great - let them do this FIRST before even thinking about handing the rich a tax cut. Oh no, too late.

So, the government know that the richest and most privileged in our country are avoiding paying tax left, right, and centre, as the majority are struggling to buy the basic necessities and pay the bills. And what is there answer to this? Drop the taxes for the rich! Absolutely disgusting.

So, they're finally going to tackle tax avoidance are they? Great - let them do this FIRST before even thinking about handing the rich a tax cut. Oh no, too late.

Did you honestly expect anything else from the Tories? What was it Thatcher said? "Where there is discord may we bring harmony..." Yeah, right...

What's your chief requirement for a taxation system? Should it maximise returns by being low enough to encourage economic activity and high enough to take advantage of said activity? Or should there be some other objective?

What's your chief requirement for a taxation system? Should it maximise returns by being low enough to encourage economic activity and high enough to take advantage of said activity? Or should there be some other objective?

There is no evidence that reducing the 50p tax will bring in more revenue whatsoever.

Archived