Do you believe in inheritance or equality?

So go away and pull some weeds up or something. I did not ask for your opinion anyhow. You came here and took an interest and contributed. I did not ask you to. Go back to your bridge.:mad:

Oh dear, did I make the troll all sad faced? Cheer up, you can use your next username to post provocative rubbish about something else, maybe suggest compulsory euthenasia for anyone over the retirement age that doesn't have a knighthood or using illegal immigrants instead of sleepers on the new high speed rail link?

An interesting thread.

My own politics are generally left of centre, though I wouldn't take an absolutist position as the OP does. Yes inheritance does go against the idea of equality. I read not so long ago of some hugely wealthy businessman saying that when he dies his money will go to charity so his children can make their own way in life.

I think the idea of equality of opportunity is often rolled out by politicians of all colours and business people to defend the status quo - that even though we have a huge gap between rich & poor anybody can rise to the top. Of course inheritance (like private schooling & contacts / nepotism) allows the wealthy to pass on their advantages to the next generation. It's a lie to pretnd otherwise.

I think there's plenty of mileage left in this idea of making us all equal.

Mr Soft is perhaps Diana Moon Glampers, the brutal and relentless Handicapper General and is just trying to soften us up by starting with targetting money and social privilege, who knows where it could end ... :o

An interesting thread.

My own politics are generally left of centre, though I wouldn't take an absolutist position as the OP does. Yes inheritance does go against the idea of equality. I read not so long ago of some hugely wealthy businessman saying that when he dies his money will go to charity so his children can make their own way in life.

I think the idea of equality of opportunity is often rolled out by politicians of all colours and business people to defend the status quo - that even though we have a huge gap between rich & poor anybody can rise to the top. Of course inheritance (like private schooling & contacts / nepotism) allows the wealthy to pass on their advantages to the next generation. It's a lie to pretnd otherwise.

It is so refreshing to have a contribution from someone who is not so blinded by their " great expectations" that they fail to be able to see the truth.

Jimmy Savile left money to charity rather than family in order to bestow family with the gift of equality.

I think there's plenty of mileage left in this idea of making us all equal.

Mr Soft is perhaps Diana Moon Glampers, the brutal and relentless Handicapper General and is just trying to soften us up by starting with targetting money and social privilege, who knows where it could end ... :o

I don't even understand that , but found it amusing.:hihi:

I don't even understand that , but found it amusing.:hihi:
You've never read Harrison Bergeron? Your education has been sadly neglected, my boy!

Given your opinions, you should enjoy it immensely. It's right up your street.

ETA: It's only a short story, nothing too taxing ... :hihi:

BUT....I am attempting to introduce equality . I am attempting to do something that is right and fair and proper and everyone hates the idea! BECAUSE they do not believe in equality.

Because, and here's one issue you're utterly failing (or, more properly, refusing) to consider:

People aren't born equal.

Because, and here's one issue you're utterly failing (or, more properly, refusing) to consider:

People aren't born equal.

Then my idea is even better as it is a step in the direction of equality.

Financial equality is a massive step forward!

Archived