Do you believe in inheritance or equality?

I would prefer a fairer system where there is true opportunity for all. Anyone born into an unemployed family on a bad estate in downtown Sheffield sadly has no real opportunity in life. They are fed negative thoughts and influences from day one in their lives. The present government could never even understand that problem , let alone come up with solutions. Their present policies serve only to exacerbate the problems.

Such people are being spawned in greater numbers. Does that improve your quality of life?:roll:

And your solution is?

Didn't I previously advocate banning inheritance as a solution to inequality somewhere in this thread?

Oh...silly me...I must have forgotten to !:loopy:

But there's more than one way to transfer wealth or do you propose to prevent monetary gifts entirely.

You're a crackpot but i'm warming to you :hihi:

Not that old chestnut!

Did the teachers always write "could do better" on your homework?

Yep .. I held myself back to give the others who had been born less equal a fairer chance ..... not that old chestnut ... more like a 'soft' plum :thumbsup:

The vast majority of people who inherit anything only get fairly small sums, and generally they inherit late in life - AFTER they have already made their own money. A typical example would be a parent dying in their 80s and the 'child' recipient being themselves in their 50s or 60s. The estate, net of tax and any old age care bills, would likely be a fairly small sum - nice to have, but hardly life changing.

The recipient would have been earning their own money all their life, so 'scrounging' doesn't come into it.

Cases where someone inherits a huge sum at a young age and then never has to work (which seems to be what you are complaining about) are incredibly rare.

Although it's perfectly natural for parents to want to help secure their childrens' future, I would feel far better if I knew my parents planned to spend every single last penny of the fruits of their labour on themselves before they die.

For the record I believe in equal opportunity (not outcome), which inheritance clearly undermines. But how to deal with it?

The vast majority of people who inherit anything only get fairly small sums, and generally they inherit late in life - AFTER they have already made their own money. A typical example would be a parent dying in their 80s and the 'child' recipient being themselves in their 50s or 60s. The estate, net of tax and any old age care bills, would likely be a fairly small sum - nice to have, but hardly life changing.

The recipient would have been earning their own money all their life, so 'scrounging' doesn't come into it.

Cases where someone inherits a huge sum at a young age and then never has to work (which seems to be what you are complaining about) are incredibly rare.

That is usually not the case.

Although it's perfectly natural for parents to want to help secure their childrens' future, I would feel far better if I knew my parents planned to spend every single last penny of the fruits of their labour on themselves before they die.

For the record I believe in equal opportunity (not outcome), which inheritance clearly undermines. But how to deal with it?

Just as I thought that I was the only person who truly believes in equality, up pops epiphany.

That is usually not the case.

No, he's absolutely spot on, and this blows a massive hole in your collander theory of equality.

People born to impoverished families still go on to make something of themselves. In fact, these days, kids have far more opportunities than they ever have.

Shouldn't you be focussing more on the issue, which is that people should pay more attention to supporting and educating their children...

Archived