Do you believe in inheritance or equality?

Didn't I previously advocate banning inheritance as a solution to inequality somewhere in this thread?

Oh...silly me...I must have forgotten to !:loopy:

You also forgot to mention that banning inheritance doesn't eradicate inequality.

Everyone is born equal..unless you believe a newborn is aware and has a choice.

I think it's pretty common actually.

If you disagree, maybe you could describe what you think is a typical inheritance?

I have seen lots of examples where the relative prosperity of the parents spoiled the child. The one that immediately springs to mind is a guy of about 35 whose parents owned two hotels and gave one of them to the "child" for his birthday.

The parents had worked hard to acquire two hotels. They ended up selling their own hotel to run the "childs" hotel for him. It is ongoing and he is now 40 something and never done a honest days work. He loves his 7 weeks abroad every year. The parents are knackered.

There is another example that stands out but someone who comes here may make a connection to me if I say it. I know of many other cases.

I fail to see why, if the parents had not given their son an hotel, this would improve equality in life.

With or without an hotel the son would still be a lazy so and so !!

Having said that, people being left that amount (or the equivalent) are probably few and far between !!

I think mr soft is a trailblazer. In the name of equality he, by either spending his money on explosives or burning it (he didn't specify sadly), will make his children UNequal compared to their peers, assuming their peers have parents of similar financial status, by leaving them nothing.

What a guy ! Even more so if he turns them into social pariahs by using "all means necessary " to eradicate the super rich.

I have seen lots of examples where the relative prosperity of the parents spoiled the child. The one that immediately springs to mind is a guy of about 35 whose parents owned two hotels and gave one of them to the "child" for his birthday.

The parents had worked hard to acquire two hotels. They ended up selling their own hotel to run the "childs" hotel for him. It is ongoing and he is now 40 something and never done a honest days work. He loves his 7 weeks abroad every year. The parents are knackered.

There is another example that stands out but someone who comes here may make a connection to me if I say it. I know of many other cases.

If someone bred budgies for example and the young budgie was kept in a smaller cage than its parent would you condem it if the younger budgie inherited its parents larger cage when the parent died ?

Whether you appreciate it or not my dear. If we banned inheritance we would give this country the biggest moral and financial boost that it has ever had. We would give ALL children a chance to compete on equal terms. What better gift could we give to our children that equality and the means to compete on equal terms. It would redress the balance between rich and poor and slash crime within a few years.

What planet are you currently residing on? The only equality that our kids would receive would be on the day of their birth and that they would have no money.

From that moment onwards their up-bringing would create in-equality, those born to caring, well meaning, educated parents would understand that there are different ways to "Get ahead" apart from having money. Using their education to serve the rest of society rather than being one of those children who are brought up to expect everyone else to do something for them always looking for someone else to blame. Naturally the former will end up collecting more money throughout their life and having paid substantial taxes supporting the latter will look to ensure that their wealth is passed to their children or will be spent rather than left to the government.

The two are of course diametrically opposed. You cannot believe in both as some people think.

If you inherit lots of money you do not believe in equality.

If your view is "This is my money that my Aunt left me and I deserve it, but believe in equality" you are a total hypocrite. Give the money to a good cause and maintain your self respect and belief in equality.

But how does NOT having the money (after giving it away) make you equal to others? It may leave you with less than others, which is not equal.

Inheriting the money might actually equalise you with others.

A cousin of mine is an only child, born when his parents were in their mid-thirties and both were well established in their careers. His mother's family was wealthy and she inherited a bundle when her parents died. He was horribly indulged as a child and something of a brat. As he grew, he learned to tone down the brat persona because people didn't like it. He was insufferable in his late teens and early twenties. I used to wonder how he had any friends at all. By the time he married, my uncle had died and there was no one to stop mama going nuts. My aunt bankrolled a lavish wedding with a country club reception, and bought the newlyweds a home in an expensive suburb and paid for a month long european honeymoon.

He is now pushing 40. Though he has a university degree, he's never used it and works sporadically as a bus driver. When his back isn't "bothering" him. His wife doesn't work, they have one daughter. My aunt makes sure his family wants for nothing. Though he was kind of a pill when he was a kid, I like him much more now. Since he's intelligent, it's slowly dawned on him how empty his life is compared to that of his peers, and how much his mother's 'help' has crippled him. He has no career to speak of because, well, he's never needed one. He can't relate to people who have to make payments on things, or stretch the money at the end of the month, or who work 12 hours a day or stay late at the office and push themselves to finish a project on time. In fact, he's now something of a pitiful character. He's at his mother's beck and call because she pays for everything. When she calls him at 2 AM to come over because there's something wrong with her computer, he can't not go.

He's past the point of enjoying material comforts and realized certain family members consider him a joke and mama's boy and make fun of him behind his back. The last few times I've seen him, he's looked rather sad. I encouraged him to get out and use his degree, but since he graduated 16 years ago, it's probably useless. It's also in a very competitive field and his chances of finding a job now, with zero experience are not very good. When my aunt dies, he'll inherit everything, but I don't think the money will bring him much joy. My sister suggested establishing a charitable foundation with part of his inheritance, and I hope he takes her words to heart.

Oh, I also believe that people have the right to do whatever the hell they want with their money when they die. Including the lady who died and left everything to her cats.

If someone bred budgies for example and the young budgie was kept in a smaller cage than its parent would you condem it if the younger budgie inherited its parents larger cage when the parent died ?

I did wonder if the OP was the artist formerly known as Sue, but decided to respond to his substantive point.

Glad I'm not the only one though!

But, you're utterly failing to take into account the fact that people are NOT born equal. A lot of people have the ability and, even more importantly, the drive, to do something with their lives...

This is the difference between people.

But it helps if you have a multi-million pound inheritance too. Then it doesn't really matter what your ability or drive are, you're set up for life & never need to work.

Archived