Fire Condemned for CO emmisions

Just looking for some advice after a fire in my rented house was condemned the other day as it was unsafe and could have caused serious harm or even killed us. The gas man told us that the flu had been removed and capped off and yet the fire wasn't taken off or even a message put on it.

The house had a gas certificate from april/may last year but we suspect that it may have been dodgy as when we moved into the house in july the boiler was damaged with frost damage which is unlikely to have happened in the time from the gas certificate being issued and the time we moved in.

as you can guess we are quite angry as CO is not a minor thing. Im just looking for some advice on how to continue with this as we feel that this was unacceptable and the letting agency should apologize to us in the form of reduced rent at least, or is this case more serious?

any advice or a pointer in the right direction would be great.

I would say thats extremely serious, a life threatening issue. Hopefully some gas engineers will offer their advice but my gut reaction would be consider taking legal action, my sis nearly died in similar circumstances in a rented flat and while I can't advise the way i dealt with it (young and headstrong so may have breached the landlords "human rights") but it needs sorting ASAP.

you should have a Gas safety Certificate given to the Tenant & the Landlord should have the same gas certificate and the the Gas fire supply should be cut or capped so it cannot be used speak to your Landlord or speak to the Gas Engineer on the Certificate if you think there is still a problem it should have been "isolated (cut off) sometimes the gas fire is left there disconnected as to remove it is a bigger job you should have the Engineers details on the Gas safety Certificate he has a responsibility he must be Corgi approved which means he is licensed to maintain gas equipment that is the law on your gas Certificate you should have a date on it which lasts for 12 months hope this helps

Archived