CIA spiked French Bread with LSD in experiment

Art Linklater's daughter was high on LSD when she thought she could fly out of a window high up a building.

Anyone who messes with that crap has to be stupid and brainless beyond belief

Anyone who tries flying from a high up window without first trying it from ground level really shouldn't be allowed out on their own in the first place.

jb

And frankly this part of the article mentioned in the OP

Mr Albarelli came across CIA documents while investigating the suspicious suicide of Frank Olson, a biochemist working for the SOD who fell from a 13th floor window two years after the Cursed Bread incident. One note transcribes a conversation between a CIA agent and a Sandoz official who mentions the "secret of Pont-Saint-Esprit" and explains that it was not "at all" caused by mould but by diethylamide, the D in LSD.

While compiling his book, A Terrible Mistake: The Murder of Frank Olson and the CIA's Secret Cold War Experiments, Mr Albarelli spoke to former colleagues of Mr Olson, two of whom told him that the Pont-Saint-Esprit incident was part of a mind control experiment run by the CIA and US army.

Is bull****. The geezer had a book out in a couple of months and was looking for coverage. There is no evidence. Something happened, but not what he alleges.

If you spike people with LSD this sort of thing:

One man tried to drown himself, screaming that his belly was being eaten by snakes. An 11-year-old tried to strangle his grandmother. Another man shouted: "I am a plane", before jumping out of a second-floor window, breaking his legs. He then got up and carried on for 50 yards. Another saw his heart escaping through his feet and begged a doctor to put it back. Many were taken to the local asylum in strait jackets.

Time magazine wrote at the time: "Among the stricken, delirium rose: patients thrashed wildly on their beds, screaming that red flowers were blossoming from their bodies, that their heads had turned to molten lead."

tends not to happen. You get adverse effects, yes, but not of this kind. LSD 'trauma' responds well to sedation, and barbiturates will have been the mainstay of rural 1950s french mental healthcare, I would think. This is much more like ergotism.

So poisoned by "Diethylamide", the D in LSD?

If they mean "Diethylamine" you'll see that that particular substance is

a flammable, strongly alkaline liquid. It is volatile and has a strong unpleasant odor.

The whole thing is a crock.

what is this. British mental hospitals were using LSD at exact same time, but because the USA got associated with 'LSD and 'flower power', the anti American crowd wants to use it as a stick to bash them with. It won't wash on any scholarly enquiry. Everybody was using LSD at this time, the Russians, Europeans, everybody.

Anyone who tries flying from a high up window without first trying it from ground level really shouldn't be allowed out on their own in the first place.

jb

That's not really funny.

Yes it is. Bill Hicks agrees with me so therefore, by definition, it must be funny.

Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. "Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy." What a dick! xxxx him, he’s an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn’t he take off on the ground first?

Check it out. You don’t see ducks lined up to catch elevators to fly south, they fly from the ground, ya moron, quit ruining it for everybody. He’s a moron, he’s dead — good, we lost a moron, xxxxxx celebrate. Wow, I just felt the world get lighter. We lost a moron!

I don’t mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am, so that’s the way it comes out. Professional help is being sought.

How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be newsworthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be newsworthy. "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves" . . . "Here's Tom with the weather."

jb

Archived