Pie Tax horror announced in Budget

It does lead to the question, why wasn't hot takeaway food taxed before today? Or was it and was shops like Greggs using a loophole to avoid the tax?

I think the weasel words the politicians will use are '...bringing it in line blah, blah...'

VAT started as a tax on luxury items - cameras etc. but this latest scam will hasten the time when VAT is put at the full rate on everything.

Still, they'll be able to lie that 'the basic rate of tax is unaffected'.

Solution for Greggs? Sell cold pies, pasties etc. and kit the shops out with microwave ovens for customers 'to use at their discretion'. (I trust a cheque from Greggs is winging its way as we speak...)

If duck houses and moat clearance is semantic enough for MPs, why not?

I think the weasel words the politicians will use are '...bringing it in line blah, blah...'

VAT started as a tax on luxury items - cameras etc. but this latest scam will hasten the time when VAT is put at the full rate on everything.

Still, they'll be able to lie that 'the basic rate of tax is unaffected'.

Solution for Greggs? Sell cold pies, pasties etc. and kit the shops out with microwave ovens for customers 'to use at their discretion'. (I trust a cheque from Greggs is winging its way as we speak...)

If duck houses and moat clearance is semantic enough for MPs, why not?

If McDonald's were charged VAT why shouldn't Greggs be charged VAT?

It does lead to the question, why wasn't hot takeaway food taxed before today? Or was it and was shops like Greggs using a loophole to avoid the tax?

It was. Last year Subway had to start adding VAT to any sandwich bought hot, but not the same sandwich bought cold. Not really a loophole just a fine line between a hot meal and a warmed snack. Clearly the govt now class a warmed sausage roll as a hot meal.

If McDonald's were charged VAT why shouldn't Greggs be charged VAT?

I don't know if it still stands, but McDonalds used to charge VAT on eating in, but not take out, and Greggs in Crystal Peaks also ask if you're eating in before you pay, and add VAT if you are.

I don't know if it still stands, but McDonalds used to charge VAT on eating in, but not take out, and Greggs in Crystal Peaks also ask if you're eating in before you pay, and add VAT if you are.

There no difference in VAT between eating in and eating out. That was scrapped years ago (about 20 from memory), hence my reference to fish'n chips earlier.

Some places still ask you, I've no idea why, possibly because they are still using a 20 year old till. :huh:

It was. Last year Subway had to start adding VAT to any sandwich bought hot, but not the same sandwich bought cold. Not really a loophole just a fine line between a hot meal and a warmed snack. Clearly the govt now class a warmed sausage roll as a hot meal.

It's daft to have such distinctions, surely it's better to have a level playing field?

There no difference in VAT between eating in and eating out. That was scrapped years ago, hence my reference to fish'n chips earlier.

Greggs in Peaks still tried to charge me 20% extra a year ago IIRC and I had to tell them "I'M NOT EATIN IN THA KNOWS!!! YAV OVER CHARGED ME!! :rant: "

It's daft to have such distinctions, surely it's better to have a level playing field?

I agree, there should just be the same rate on everything imho.

VAT is probably the fairest tax as well, it taxes wealth and not income. Wealth is only useful when it is spent, so should be taxed at that point.

The flaw in my master plan is that the wealthy can chose to spend their wealth elsewhere.

So it's more a case of closing a loophole rather than raising a tax?

So how about opening up another loophole?

All Greggs have to do now is provide a few microwaves for people to use to warm up their recently bought cold pasty.

Greggs in Peaks still tried to charge me 20% extra a year ago IIRC and I had to tell them "I'M NOT EATIN IN THA KNOWS!!! YAV OVER CHARGED ME!! :rant: "

If the VAT rate was 20% inside, then it was 20% outside as well, there being no difference.

Did the server give you a puzzled look?

:)

Archived