Pie Tax horror announced in Budget

If the VAT rate was 20% inside, then it was 20% outside as well, there being no difference.

Did the server give you a puzzled look?

:)

No, I think he spoke my language :hihi:

I never did understand how they could charge you more for 'eating in' in the Greggs at Crystal Peaks, it was only 3 bar stools and a breakfast bar :lol:

So how about opening up another loophole?

All Greggs have to do now is provide a few microwaves for people to use to warm up their recently bought cold pasty.

I'm sure they'll do what ever they can to try to escape paying tax. Are you so forgiving of most companies that try to avoid their tax burden?

I had to laugh this morning reading about Greggs and the tax (VAT) on their hot food, apparently 30p on a pastie (not that I have ever had anything from Greggs) then read that caviar is NOT a luxury food.:confused: But then one would look after ones friends wouldn't they George.

The Fat Tax will not solve any health issues neither will increasing the price of alcohol

This runs counter to the BMA who support both taxes-you imply that neither tax will have an impact on behaviour which ignores the rules of economics.

Obesity will rise as more families cannot afford to buy fresh/quality foods.

Greggs will still be a lot cheaper than buying food elsewhere if you are stuck in town and need to grab something quick to eat. It's another tax on the poor.

This government stinks to high heaven.

The price of places such as Greggs is going up; the price of fresh food is not changing; how do you conclude that people currently able to afford fresh food, will no longer be able to do so but will shop at Greggs instead? :huh:

I can understand the government wanting the sick disabled & old to die early to soften the burden on the rich but really i can not understand why we have to be tortured this much .... I wouldn't mind even paying the pie tax if I could afford to go along to Gregg s & buy a pie .. I suppose its all relative actually isn't it ... if I was a millionaire then I would see the coin from the other side & say we have never had it so good .. but until then I suppose its on the bus to Iceland & the £1 shop I must go until the day they bring in the final nail to starve us to death. Wonder how many Greggs shares Camerons cronies short sold before they announced the PIE TAX

The price of places such as Greggs is going up; the price of fresh food is not changing; how do you conclude that people currently able to afford fresh food, will no longer be able to do so but will shop at Greggs instead? :huh:

You mean people like the two Eds, who happened to accidentally find themselves in 'Greggs' today, with camera crew in tow. Isn't it good to see politicians in touch with the common man. I wonder when they last went into a 'Greggs' prior to this debacle.'

• 1 month later...

It seems the "Omnishambles" continues, there has been another U Turn.

"The government is on the brink of making two Budget U-turns. The so-called "pasty tax" and caravan tax are not being dropped but heavily amended.

Most takeaway pasties and sausage rolls will not now have VAT levied on them as planned. Static caravans will now pay a new 5% VAT rate, instead of the planned 20%."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18245005

Archived