Demolition cottage Bingley Lane, Rivelin (planning)

Hi- I have posted this in 'Houses and Property' but maybe it is more appropriate here for you History buffs :) of course any supporting historical info. anyone can give would be gratefully received :)

...interested in the preservation of historic buildings and local history? There is a planning application to demolish the pretty white cottage (Bingley Lane Farm) on Bingley Lane, Rivelin Valley (on the road to Stannington). This is an ancient building and is found on maps that go back to 1795 (and God knows how much longer it was there before that?).

Go on sheffield.gov.uk/planning and type in PP-01833071 to the planning portal.

Thanks

Bingley farm once belonged to my late wifes family the Moselys and I believe is mentioned in the Domesday book,at one time the toilets were in Derbyshire whilst the farm was in Yorkshire.I always remember going up there for tea in the early sixties and seeing all the meat hanging from the beams.Kieth Mosely still has the farm further along Bingley Lane.

Hi Bullerboy

How are you? OK I hope.

I am nearing my stay in NZ, we leave for the UK at the end of this month.

I believe my wife's forebears lived at Bingley cottage before your wife's family, I think their name was Revitt.

It will be a shame if they do pull the old place down.

Regards PopT

We went to look at it when it went up for auction .. it has major structural problems .. a large tree has grown ( must be over 100 years old ) at the side of the property more or less touching it and the building is cracked!! The roots must have grown underneath it.

Soon as we saw it we knew it would have to be dropped and rebuilt.

Such a shame because its a lovely building.

Hi Bullerboy

How are you? OK I hope.

I am nearing my stay in NZ, we leave for the UK at the end of this month.

I believe my wife's forebears lived at Bingley cottage before your wife's family, I think their name was Revitt.

It will be a shame if they do pull the old place down.

Regards PopT

I am ok thanks and will look forward to seeing you over here,let me know if you want to go for a bevvy and a chat but it will not be at the Robin Hood.I have a bit of news that you may like to hear but its too long for here.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for replies.

I still have a problem, as illustrated below. Are we talking about the same place, across the road is Bingley House (Now a farm) This farm looks 19th c to me and I have no idea what was there before,

Topside of the lane is Bingley farm with the tree problem although it is not now going to be demolished.

"Revitt, Jonathan, Born Mar 06 1820 in Nether Gate, Stannington, Yorkshire, Died Jun 06 1896 in Bingley House, Stannington" (Tribal page.)

There are Beals there(I reckon) in 1841 census, a cutler

My Dyson references are "...farm on Bingley Lane" 1819 later stated "... a farm at Bingley House" mentioned 1835. So description inconclusive.

I have a Mark and an earlier Charles Dyson (pre 1828, possibly pre 1800) Both cutlers and mentioned in connection with the "Bingley House Trust" - set up to educate the poor in the 17th c.

Does anyone have any old pics please?

Thanks

mike

• 1 year later...

the farm i am speaking of was called Bingley Seat,if you go along Bingley Lane from Stannington the road forks take the right hand fork and the farm is up on the righthand side.it was supoosed to be mentioned in the Domesday book.In the 60s the farm was in Yorkshire and the nidden toilets were in Derbyshire.The Moselelys left this in the late 60s early 70s for the one on the left before the fork.