New strategy on alcohol

Seeing as the government wish to increase the price of alcohol to stop abuses would it be an idea to reintroduce licencing hours as were in force when I was younger.

Monday to Friday 11-3 and 5.30 - 10.30

Saturday night pubs stayed open a bit later.

Sunday 12 - 2 and 7 - 10.30

There was 10 minutes drinking up time allowed.

Instead of purchasing alcohol from supermarkets as is done now go back to the off licences system where you went to buy it.

The police used to visit pubs and check youngsters ages. They did not tolerate public drunkenness

Seeing as the government wish to increase the price of alcohol to stop abuses would it be an idea to reintroduce licencing hours as were in force when I was younger.

Monday to Friday 11-3 and 5.30 - 10.30

Saturday night pubs stayed open a bit later.

Sunday 12 - 2 and 7 - 10.30

There was 10 minutes drinking up time allowed.

Instead of purchasing alcohol from supermarkets as is done now go back to the off licences system where you went to buy it.

Thus encouraging people to drink more in the reduced amount of time, like what it used to be like when these hrs were in force (I was 18 at the time so as a youngster the plan was to drink as much as possible before closing).

Thus encouraging people to drink more in the reduced amount of time, like what it used to be like when these hrs were in force (I was 18 at the time so as a youngster the plan was to drink as much as possible before closing).

We didn't have the drunkenness on the streets that we have now though.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with pubs. The problem is that supermarkets sell booze far cheaper than pubs and so people do not use pubs as much.

A pub is a controlled drinking environment where they should not serve you if you are drunk, whereas a person sat in his garden with a pile of beer crates has no law to stop him drinking a lethal amount.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with pubs. The problem is that supermarkets sell booze far cheaper than pubs and so people do not use pubs as much.

A pub is a controlled drinking environment where they should not serve you if you are drunk, whereas a person sat in his garden with a pile of beer crates has no law to stop him drinking a lethal amount.

But a person sat in a garden getting drunk is no threat to anyone else whereas someone in a pub may become aggressive and start causing trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to drink in pubs but £3 a pint is way too expensive.

Archived