Where does Hillsborough end and Wadsley start

• 1 month later...

The name Hillsborough was not used until the 19C. The area we call Hillsborough was mostly in Owlerton Manor and partly in Wadsley Manor. Consequently ther never have bee any official boundaries to Hillsborough. The Beehive pub (now Tescos) was in Wadsley Manor. The Wadsley manor house was located on Laird Road but was demolished in the 1960s (or late 50s)

Official parish boundaries exist, but they bear no importance nowadays. From a practical point of view, suburbs do not have a defined edge and many addresses could be classed as either, or both, or two neighbouring areas.

Thats the story of this strange country, the UK is not a neat federal state in the way that Germany is; Britain has evolved into what it is today in a very higglety-pigglety fashion that many so called experts on the subject can't agree on.

IMO up Wadsley Lane to Marlcliffe Rd is Hillsborough. After Marlcliffe to the right is Wadsley and to the left (Sutton Estate) is Hillsborough.

As for Wisewood i'd say that starts up Laird Rd after Wadsley Park Cres or up Ben Lane after Colin Ave

btw

it is a complete waste of time telling anyone you live in Wadsley, cos 99% of the time they'll reply "oh Wadsley Bridge??"

I used to live on braemore rd and this was classed as wadsley (at least by the church where I was in choir) but when I was cristened the address used was my nans on dykes hall road (same block) and this was classed as hillsbrough.

So based on this I'd say on boundary would be junction of braemore road and dykes hall road.

Also agree with the wadsley being took as wadsley bridge 99% of time despite being about a mile apart.

Archived