BBC Sport Relief - A bit cheeky?

Although it is a sick philosophy -In a global economy the charities and fundraising industries are dependant on victims for their jobs - it is not in their interest to resolve problems.

Without a doubt this is one of the most appalling comments on charity I have seen in a long time and it depresses me that I live in a country where people who house these views exist.

You should hang your head in shame.

What are the overheads of running the charity and exactly how much of it reaches those we are told it is for once the directors, promoters, and stars have had their cut ?

That said it is a step forward in that the Izzards, Wallliams and Bishops actually undertake some heroic deeds wheras the Wogans didnt stray far from the couch and the "stars" simply doing their day job ought to be made to go that extra mile or donate their appearance money.

Will we get the opportunity to revisit the individuals to see how their life changing money affects them ? did we re visit any of last years intended targets ?

Although it is a sick philosophy -In a global economy the charities and fundraising industries are dependant on victims for their jobs - it is not in their interest to resolve problems.

Miranda Harts dad has most to answer for in failing to use a condom.

Aww I think Miranda Hart is funny, so funny in last nights SR...:)

Aside of which the answer to drought on a planet made up of 4 fifth of water is a bit pretentious anyway.

They were aware of irrigation in biblical times - the Romans built aquaducts and if anyone seriously believes that water couldnt be got where water is needed if there were the will to do so then they need a reality check.

Aside of which the answer to drought on a planet made up of 4 fifth of water is a bit pretentious anyway.

They were aware of irrigation in biblical times - the Romans built aquaducts and if anyone seriously believes that water couldnt be got where water is needed if there were the will to do so then they need a reality check.

But don't you see, that would cost serious money to do. You need dams and purification, desalination. That's what they're asking for.

^^^What he said^^^

'What bounces and makes children cry?' My cheque to Children in Need.

It's another branch of the 'vicarious grief' industry that has grown in this country. If you want to give, give. Just don't bloody bore the rest of us with your holier-than-thou act.

I did what I always do with these programmes. Turned off and went out.

Indeed.

I did my bit for Sports Relief last night.

I ran to the nearest pub which wasn't showing it.

With the ConDem government taking more and more money out of direct and indirect taxation to fund international development aid (taking from the poor in this rich country and giving it to the rich in poor countries) there is absolutely no need for anybody to feel any twinge of conscience about not giving to Sport Relief.

Donating money to charity is compulsory for everyone living in the UK.

But don't you see, that would cost serious money to do. You need dams and purification, desalination. That's what they're asking for.

I think you have missed the point - re biblical times and ancient roman constructions - if there were intent to so it then it would have been done -

Im not talking about the odd village well drilled and pumped im talking irrigating a continent - perhaps likes of joining 2 landmasses by a channel tunnel or linking 2 oceans by creating the Suez canal'

I might be more inclined to donate to a specific project to irrigate africa then you could actuall see if the money you donated were being used for the purpose advertised but this would mean an end to drought and an end to famine which sustains many of our western charities. Humanitarian or economic - you choose

Archived