A typical tory budget move

There is no vat on mobile homes or caravans.

The true tories are wealthy people.

The true tories are in power.

Because true tories are very wealthy they do not have mobile homes or caravans.

Middle class and working class people have mobile homes or caravans.

The true tories stay in top class hotels.

The tories have a budget.

Right out of the blue, from Oct 1st the full vat rate is put on mobile homes and caravans.

Mobile homes and caravans cost 20% more from Oct 1st.

The true tories do not care as they do not use them.

Your theory being that everything that is not a necessity should be subject to a tax increase of 20%:huh:

VAT, by definition, is supposed to be applied on luxury items but not on necessities. Frankly I'm amazed to find it wasn't on caravans from the day it was first introduced; hence I ask the question. To which group of people is a mobile home, or caravan, a necessity?

VAT, by definition, is supposed to be applied on luxury items but not on necessities. Frankly I'm amazed to find it wasn't on caravans from the day it was first introduced; hence I ask the question. To which group of people is a mobile home, or caravan, a necessity?

VAT= Value Added Tax.........this does not mean that by definition the tax is added to "luxury" items.

VAT= Value Added Tax.........this does not mean that by definition the tax is added to "luxury" items.

That doesn't mean anything, all you are giving is the name. When VAT was introduced, the objective of introducing it was to impose it upon all luxury items and not upon necessities, since in that fashion it would tax only the people who could afford luxuries, and not the poor who can only buy basic necessities like food and clothing.

(Personally I'd like to see it abolished and income tax rates raised instead, but apparently that's less fair to poor people, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.)

Hence, I can understand someone complaining about the fact that it's levied on clothes, which everyone has to buy ... but who on Earth thinks that a caravan is an economic necessity and should be exempt?

That doesn't mean anything, all you are giving is the name. When VAT was introduced, the objective of introducing it was to impose it upon all luxury items and not upon necessities, since in that fashion it would tax only the people who could afford luxuries, and not the poor who can only buy basic necessities like food and clothing.

(Personally I'd like to see it abolished and income tax rates raised instead, but apparently that's less fair to poor people, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.)

Hence, I can understand someone complaining about the fact that it's levied on clothes, which everyone has to buy ... but who on Earth thinks that a caravan is an economic necessity and should be exempt?

True tories are very unlike you as they are prosperous. They stay in top class hotels. Poorer people who work for a living could not afford a proper holiday for their families so go out and get a caravan. It is the only way that some of them can afford a well earned holiday. WORKING people need one.:)

The tory scum thus have just introduced a new tax on holidays for working people.

True tories are very unlike you as they are prosperous. They stay in top class hotels. Poorer people who work for a living could not afford a proper holiday for their families so go out and get a caravan.

Holidays are luxuries, are they not?

Why should a caravan be exempt when a weeks' stay in a fleapit bed-and-breakfast hotel is not?

Why is hot food from a caravan or supermarket now classed as a luxury?

Beats me. Food is an awful lot more necessary than holidays are.

Hot food for takeaway has been subject to VAT for a long time; you can argue that this brings things more into line with each other, but then, so would abolishing the VAT on all forms of food. Why not do that?

Archived