Accident on the M5 another lorry involved?

I think they're trained sufficiently, ie they're taught the skills they need but then it's down to them not putting that training into practice.

I'm not saying it's all truck drivers, I would put money on that there are drivers out there that have been at it for years, following their training and never had an incident.

If their not putting the training into practice then they shouldn't be on the rd let alone busy motorways. I'm not saying every lorry drivers a bad driver, but there does seem to be a spate of accidents involving lorries lately.

I read somewhere some drivers were complaining of " blind spots" and fitting the mega wide wing mirrors.

Unfortunately this latest accident was with a coach, big enough to see I would think. :(

I don't believe that lorry drivers are any more or less guilty than anyone else, of failing to keep sufficient stopping distance between themselves and the car in front. (On a motorway, even people who want to do so cannot because a gap that large will be filled by an overtaking car!)

The difference is that when a lorry can't stop in time and hits the vehicle in front, it's a near certainty that there will be fatalities.

I don't believe that lorry drivers are any more or less guilty than anyone else, of failing to keep sufficient stopping distance between themselves and the car in front. (On a motorway, even people who want to do so cannot because a gap that large will be filled by an overtaking car!)

The difference is that when a lorry can't stop in time and hits the vehicle in front, it's a near certainty that there will be fatalities.

Does that mean the lorries going too fast.? We've had lorries passing us on the A1. At scary speeds..

I don't feel safe on any motorway now..:(

Does that mean the lorries going too fast.? We've had lorries passing us on the A1. At scary speeds..

Dangerous driving is a combination of too fast and too close; even at 10mph a lorry could be too close behind you to be safe.

It appears, in this specific incident, that the coach was broken down in the inside lane, in one of the sections with no hard shoulder, and the lorry was unable to stop in time to avoid ramming it. Thick fog was prevalent in the area, but it's hard to see how any driver can ever use "it was too foggy" as an excuse for hitting something. You're required to take the weather conditions into account.

There may be other relevant details; that's all that we have so far, and it comes from coach passengers' statements.

If their not putting the training into practice then they shouldn't be on the rd let alone busy motorways. I'm not saying every lorry drivers a bad driver, but there does seem to be a spate of accidents involving lorries lately.

I read somewhere some drivers were complaining of " blind spots" and fitting the mega wide wing mirrors.

Unfortunately this latest accident was with a coach, big enough to see I would think. :(

My Bold=

Car drivers are guilty of this more than lorry drivers, I have an hgv licence and let me say that as lorry drivers we know if we make a mistake the consequences can be serious.

When you are heavily laden ie 40 odd tons of weight and some pillok in a car causes you to swerve or enters your blind spot than i'm sorry but the lorry drivers only have so much control.

I don't know the details of the crash you are on about but it seems you are putting all the blame on lorry drivers not following procedure which is a bit unfair.

As one of the offending EX truckers who seem to make you feel unsafe, I can simply tell you car drivers can be just as bad as any truck driver on any kind of road.

Angel.

Archived