Railwayin the east end of sheffield

Pkingy

Hi - I recall a single line running across Saville Street near to its junction with Hawke Street. When traffic was stopped by red lights, locos went over the road from one plant to the other opposite. Can't quite remember which firm had the crossing - possibly English Steel Corporation? Don't think it was Firth Browns or Firth Vickers which had plants further along Saville Street towards the City and on Leeds Road Attercliffe respectively. Hope this helps - a long time ago so hope I'm remembering correctly?

I seem to remember back in the late 60s a firm in the east end had a railway track running across the road connecting two factory's together anybody remember this and what was the firm called

I worked at the English Steel Corp (later became British Steel and then Forgemasters) between 1953 and 1956, left to do national service. The works trains which I remember to be green, crossed Brightside Lane from the old south machine shop side to the Siemans furnaces side.

I seem to remember back in the late 60s a firm in the east end had a railway track running across the road connecting two factory's together anybody remember this and what was the firm called

There was another crossing from Firth Browns on Carlisle street just left at the top of Newhall road which went across at the side of the Alexandra pub turned right behind the houses and stopped behind the Crown Inn. It then reversed to a tower where the coal waggons were left to be individually raised up to fill the hopper with coal this was then used to fill the tubs in the air with coal. They were then carried aloft across Scott Street then alongside the Rec' to the works on Garter Street and tipped as they turned to repeat the process. Lorries sometimes used to fill with coal via a shute below and distribute it around where it were required. This was my playground when work stopped and they all went home, happy times.

Archived