Skinny runt son, he needs weight on.

Hi, my son 18 is rather skinny regarding his weight. He needs to gain some body weight, but if he eats alot, it just comes out of the other end (excuse my explanation).

So asking if anyone knows of a weight gain supplement that he could have to build his body mass.

It's supposed to come out the other end. If the poor lad has diarrohea well then there may be a problem.

How does he feel about you wanting to bulk him up?

Incidentally I think you're a nutcase :D

Well thank you, actually I agree with the nutcase bit. But on a serious note, yes he wants to build-up, thats why asking.

A serious question, delivered with a sick humour.

Well thank you, actually I agree with the nutcase bit. But on a serious note, yes he wants to build-up, thats why asking.

I don't know that simply increasing food intake is the answer. Weight gain can be as difficult as weight loss and exercise plays a part in both.

I'm sure there'll be some budding Scwarzenneger's on here that will offer some wordly advice (or perhaps I should say advise for this forum).

I used to be stick thin when I was that age as well, but when I reached 25 my metabalism started to slow down and I started to gain weight. Now I weigh 11.5 stone (which is right for someone of my height).

The weight will come with age!

I'd be a bit dubious about him taking any sort of supplement without some proper medical advice. Get him to go to see his doctor and see what s/he has to say.

Just putting on weight - if it's in the form of fat - is very unhealthy, exercise might be the way to go.

Here's my reply to a similar question in another thread

When I started training in pro wrestling I started a diet to gain two stone.

Every diet is different, and you should consult a Doctor or nutritianist before starting any diet, but I'll tell you roughly what mine entailed (I wanted to gain weight but not excess fat - although any weight gain will involve some fat).

I had a baguel as soon as I woke up, six weetabix with full fat milk for breakfast, then throughout the day a total of four tablespoons of peanut butter, four eggs, two portions of peanuts, two bananas, a tablespoon of olive oil, a normal dinner and a tub of cottage cheese before bed.

I must repeat that everyone is different and I am not giving you a diet, just an idea of good foods for weight gain, in addition I had protein and carb shakes before hitting the gym - but these are supplements, NOT meal replacements.

Excercise is good for weight gain too, depending on goal their are excercises for both weight gain as well as weight loss. Muscle weighs more than fat so even modertae toning excercises will increase weight.

I think the two most important things to remember are you are different to person 'x', so you will need a diet/excercise sculpted specifically for you, and stay away from 'fads' or self proclaimed 'experts', the best place to go is your Doctor, failing that a combination of reputable dietician/personal trainer will help, but check out their credentials before using them.

The whole thread can be found here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=642379

Some people are naturally skinny due to their metabolism/thyroids. Unless he starts weight training there's not much he's going to be able to do about.

Also it's worth mentioning, the amount of people who say they eat a lot but can never gain weight is just astounding.

And if an outsider looked at their diet they'd say they were eating not nearly enough.

Archived