A quarter of a million? That'll do nicely

Guest sibon

Politics in England was not always corrupt. True corruption only began with the Thatcher government. It has been on a serious downward spiral ever since from parties of all colours.

Thatcher taught politicians and people how to be selfish, self centred, uncaring, bent, ignoble, arrogant and dishonest. Apart from that she was a bitch.:)

You aren't wrong there Phil. Factual fact.

Politics in England was not always corrupt. True corruption only began with the Thatcher government. It has been on a serious downward spiral ever since from parties of all colours.

Thatcher taught politicians and people how to be selfish, self centred, uncaring, bent, ignoble, arrogant and dishonest. Apart from that she was a bitch.:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom#1890s

I think it's just that more corruption gets reported in the media these days, it's always happened. There was plenty of it in the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom#1890s

I think it's just that more corruption gets reported in the media these days, it's always happened. There was plenty of it in the 1970s.

There were always scandals on a small scale. Thatcher introduced corruption as a prerequisite to a political career. We only need to look at the present PM who became a property developer with tax payers money until he got caught out and paid a large sum back in 2009 and was let off. Fortunately Thatcher will soon die.:)

Lets face it anyone who donates a wad of cash to a Political Party wants something in return and, as in much of life, you get what you pay for. Hence a donation of £5 will get a grudging "thank you" and a sneer whereas a gift of £250,000 will get Cameron and Osborne smarming round you and offering up Gove or Clegg as your fag for the day.

There were always scandals on a small scale. Thatcher introduced corruption as a prerequisite to a political career. We only need to look at the present PM who became a property developer with tax payers money until he got caught out and paid a large sum back in 2009 and was let off. Fortunately Thatcher will soon die.:)

They weren't really that small scale. Labour were selling peerages in the 1970s, the Liberal leader allegedly hired a hitman to murder his gay lover, there was a faked suicide, spy scandals, Winston Churchill bribed by BP in the 1920s, insider trading.

Then there's all the things you didn't hear about. I think there's just more & better investigative journalism these days, along with a freer press.

I share your hate of Thatcher & it is possible to blame most of the world's problems on her, but we can't really say she invented political corruption, it was around long before she was born & will still be around after she's dead.

They weren't really that small scale. Labour were selling peerages in the 1970s, the Liberal leader allegedly hired a hitman to murder his gay lover, there was a faked suicide, spy scandals, Winston Churchill bribed by BP in the 1920s, insider trading.

Then there's all the things you didn't hear about. I think there's just more & better investigative journalism these days, along with a freer press.

I share your hate of Thatcher & it is possible to blame most of the world's problems on her, but we can't really say she invented political corruption, it was around long before she was born & will still be around after she's dead.

My view is that all the stated examples are small scale compared to a party leader overtly selling favours to businesses for cash. ...."Things will start to happen but you should come in with a big wad".......not an exact quote but an exact meaning.

My view is that all the stated examples are small scale compared to a party leader overtly selling favours to businesses for cash. ...."Things will start to happen but you should come in with a big wad".......not an exact quote but an exact meaning.

So what did Winston Churchill do here? http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/the-greatest-20th-century-beneficiary-of-popular-mythology-has-been-the-cad-churchill-1876680.html

What about Harold Wilson? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Prime_Minister%27s_Resignation_Honours

or this from 1948... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynskey_Tribunal

It's just a run of the mill political corruption scandal, business as usual.

That itself is small fry compared to the previous government, who made policy based upon donations.

I was never a supporter of new lab, but you are incorrect in your statement.

So you believe it to be a complete coincidence that the owner of F1 donated £1 million to Labour at the same time that the Labour government made F1 exempt from the tobacco advertising ban?

Archived