Cornish Independence

I'd guess their income would come from Farming, fishing and tourism. The argument rests along the lines that an independent Cornwall would negotiate better quotas and support for their industry than the UK has been able to so far.

Not if they intend to trade with Europe.

haviing spent a lot of time in cornwall ive found that in the coastal areas they tolerate the none cornish person because of income it generates,but when you get away from these areas the true face of the cornish person is seen.one thats dosn't like you infact one more of hatred so for me build a wall all the way along the border to keep the cornish in and let them have KERNOW to them selfs

haviing spent a lot of time in cornwall ive found that in the coastal areas they tolerate the none cornish person because of income it generates,but when you get away from these areas the true face of the cornish person is seen.one thats dosn't like you infact one more of hatred so for me build a wall all the way along the border to keep the cornish in and let them have KERNOW to them selfs

It's ok, coastal erosion is eating CORNWALL at an increasing rate. When they have no option but to move back into England, tell 'em no.

Do you support the creation of a 'Cornish Assembly', giving Cornwall more autonomy? There are several reasons why an autonomous Cornwall would be beneficial to the Cornish and the rest of Britain.

1. Independence will reduce poverty in Cornwall:

Cornwall is one of the poorest regions in the UK, at one time eligible for 'Objective One' EU funding. Cornwall's economy is primarily agricultural and tourism based. The current economic environment is not conducive to prosperity in Cornwall – something which is desirable to both the Cornish and British as a prosperous Cornwall will contribute more to the UK. The only way to create a more productive economy in Cornwall is for the local people, who live in and understand the situation in Cornwall, to have more say in how things are run.

2. Independence will improve the management of Cornwall:

Cornwall is a long way from Westminster. Decisions made in Westminster do not consider the needs of Cornwall. Funding is misspent in Cornwall as those spending it don't live in the region. Society works best when people have self determination, those who live in a region are best suited to manage it.

3. Independence will allow Cornwall to retain its cultural identity:

Cornwall has a distinct culture to England. It has it's own language (albeit extinct), traditions and history. Currently this cultural identity is undermined by England (for example the flying of Cornwall's national flag is restricted) Devolution will allow the Cornish take pride in their identity.

I appreciate any input on the above subject, I feel it is one routinely overlooked by the non-Cornish and welcome any discussion.

I think Kernow is better off as it is.

Angel.

Archived