A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

What about if you are hogging the middle lane in a HGV?

Its an overtaking lane. How hard can that be to understand? If yo want to pass the "hogging" HGV, pull over to overtaking lane number two (thats the outside lane) and pass to your hearts content. HGV,s cant use that lane, so you will be quite safe. Plenty of posters have said that trucks are governed to 56mph, where a car has the luxury of being able to accelerate quicker. I realise that a truck dosent pass another one quickly, but 9 times out of 10, they will get past. The truck driver isnt joyriding, he/she is doing a job of work delivering items for the good of the population. Thats not a plea for special treatment, but its not going to hurt a driver to make room to allow the truck to get on with its job.

Its an overtaking lane. How hard can that be to understand?

I understand the concept of a Motorway thank you though.

If yo want to pass the "hogging" HGV, pull over to overtaking lane number two (thats the outside lane) and pass to your hearts content.

HGV,s cant use that lane, so you will be quite safe.

It's not about "being safe". I believe that all road users have a duty to drive safely and courtiously (sp?) to other road users. What I am saying is that you implied that only cars hog the middle lane. I was trying to get you to realise that HGVs are guilty of this too.

Plenty of posters have said that trucks are governed to 56mph, where a car has the luxury of being able to accelerate quicker. I realise that a truck dosent pass another one quickly, but 9 times out of 10, they will get past. The truck driver isnt joyriding, he/she is doing a job of work delivering items for the good of the population. Thats not a plea for special treatment, but its not going to hurt a driver to make room to allow the truck to get on with its job.

Yes a car has the ability to accelerate faster, however some drivers aren't comfortable driving over 70 mph. There is no excuse for one truck pulling into lane 2 to pass another truck, and making very little progress in this activity. Just this morning I saw 2 HGVs cab-to-cab trotting along on the M1 towards J40 northbound. The second HGV is guilty of hogging the middle lane and holding everyone up.

Eventually the second driver gave up and returned to lane 1 behind the other lorry.

[/b]

If you are hogging the middle lane in a car, your bold is EXACTLY what you are doing. Stopping a vehicle from pulling out because you are hogging the middle lane. This is a perfect reflection on just how bad drivers are on the roads today.

Unless they are driving at the same speed as the lorry then despite hogging that lane (by which you mean not pulling when they can and should) they will still pass the lorry and no longer be in the way.

Basically how they work is by taking random pictures the space between the cameras is measured and timed ,later on some guy in the office study's these pictures and if it is your unlucky number you will get a little brown envelope through the post.

No, that's not how the modern ones work, they use a video feed, they use a computer with ANPR and it continuously works out the average speed of every vehicle going through.

Basically how they work is by taking random pictures the space between the cameras is measured and timed ,later on some guy in the office study's these pictures and if it is your unlucky number you will get a little brown envelope through the post.

You reckon they work on a "do you feel lucky" sort of method? Really?

No. It's not a "close your eyes and choose a picture" method.

See here for a detailed explaination of how they actually work.

You reckon they work on a "do you feel lucky" sort of method? Really?

I do actually about 4 weeks ago I was on my way to Preston and was following a mate who works for the same company along the M62, he recently got a letter through the post and it looks like he is going to get a fine for going through the roadworks at an average speed of 53mph, they sent him two start and finish type pictures, you can see my truck at the back of his truck, I did not get anything from it and I was traveling as far as I can make out at the same speed, there is some sort of randomness or luck about average speed cameras.

I do actually about 4 weeks ago I was on my way to Preston and was following a mate who works for the same company along the M62, he recently got a letter through the post and it looks like he is going to get a fine for going through the roadworks at an average speed of 53mph, they sent him two start and finish type pictures, you can see my truck at the back of his truck, I did not get anything from it and I was traveling as far as I can make out at the same speed, there is some sort of randomness or luck about average speed cameras.

Perhaps you were so close to his rear that the camera couldn't see your number plate?

Archived