A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

They use SPECS on motorway roadworks...the one on Stomps' link...The ones I've seen on the M62 are the same..

I'm going that way again on Friday so I will have a look and make sure I don't go through them at more than 50mph.

I go through them just about every day...

Ya its a right drag it starts around Castleford way and ends around the little house on the prairie as soon as the the works come to an end its like the wacky races,it reminds of that bit of the M1 near Northampton that went on for months and months still gets congested there after all that work and money.

According to the list that you gave the cameras used on the M62 look like they are not that type of cameras.

High up on a pole, look like 3 large video cameras facing towards the oncoming traffic and the signs up will say "average speed cameras" or something like that.

I just hit the cruise control when I enter these, it's too easy to creep up above 50 if you relax.

Really? Maybe you need more driving lessons if you can't maintain a speed and need cruise control to help you, particularly on something like a motorway.

I use cruise control also. For me this is the easiest way of ensuring I dont accidentally creap over the speed limit.

Really? Maybe you need more driving lessons if you can't maintain a speed and need cruise control to help you, particularly on something like a motorway.

Uh huh...

Are you actually claiming then that I'm incorrect when I said

it's too easy to creep up above 50 if you relax.

When 53 could be enough to get you a ticket...

You're such an advanced driver that you can for 10's of miles at a time, maintain exactly 50mph without deviation. That's very impressive if it's true. :thumbsup:

It's probably not true though.

Using cruise control is a strange thing, you pass someone. 2 minutes later they overtake you. You pass them again. This can continue for miles.

Drivers are not good at maintaining a consistent speed for long distances, variations in the slope of the road make a big difference, as does the surrounding traffic (people tend to slow down or speed up subconsciously to match the rest of the traffic).

The most annoying one though is the driver who speeds up slightly when you are alongside... I now look like a lane hog/tool despite the fact that I know my speed hasn't varied. I either have to slow down and move in again (at which point he will undoubtedly slow down and get in my way) or speed up and move in (at which point he will feel the need to over take me and then I'll catch him up in a mile or two).

Every car should come with cruise control, and using it on the motorway should be a matter of course, not something you only do if you don't believe you're as good a driver as alchresearch.

Archived